Morgan County News, located in the beautiful mountains of East Tennessee, seeks a full-time sports and news reporter with the position open immediately. Morgan County is approximately 30 minutes from Oak Ridge, and one hour from Knoxville, and is home to the Obed Wild and Scenic River, Frozen Head State Park and Lone Mountain State Forest. We seek a creative, motivated and self-sufficient reporter who can bring ball games and meetings to life.
The Morgan County News is owned by Landmark Community Newspapers in Shelbyville, Ky. We are a sister paper to the Roane County News in nearby Kingston, and the LaFollette Press, in Campbell County.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• Solid writing, researching and interviewing skills
• Fluency in AP style and strict adherence to grammar rules
• Copy-editing skills
• Pagination skills via inDesign
• Photoshop skills
• Competency in photography and social media
• Valid driver’s license, car insurance and a vehicle
• Impeccable time management and organization
Essential job functions
• Cover sports in Morgan County — which includes four high schools — and some other community sports such as racing
• Cover regular government beats and other stories as assigned. While the position is mostly sports related, you can expect to write news regularly, especially during downtimes
• Assist with special sections, create features stories on a myriad of subjects and cover breaking news as required
• Communicate with the editor daily
• Contribute a column regularly
• Meet deadlines
• Help proofread news content
Hourly, 40 hours a week with evening and weekend work sometimes required
If this sounds like the job for you, please email a resume, clips and photography examples to:
Editor, Morgan County News
Apply before June 4.
JournalismJobs.com - 8 months ago