HOM Furniture is looking for a dynamic, competitive and results-driven professional to join our Buying Team!
This person coordinates activities involved with buying for our Bedding and Mattress Department. Must understand and be able to formulate a marketing plan based on our business goals. Needs the ability to evaluate the furniture market, trends, competition's past trends, and forecast future trends.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit an online application.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Three or more years buying experience in large ticket category - furniture industry experience is a plus
2. Working Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word. Job is computer intensive must have good basic computer skills and learn quickly on new programs (e-mail, reporting data bases, Internet).
3. Three or more years of large ticket retail or wholesale sales experience a plus
4. Higher education degree in related fields a plus (Business and/or Design.)
1. To excel in this position you must be highly competitive and goal oriented with high focus on sales and product success. Past sales or buying experience with high achievement levels and natural desire to win are key attributes.
2. Analytical mind to be able to develop and comprehend Profit and Loss responsibilities.
3. Naturally enjoy working with people and within a team environment. Ability to Lead and motivate cross-functional teams to drive category results.
4. Must be comfortable being confrontational when necessary. Willing to address difficult situations and hold people accountable while still maintaining high quality relationships with team members and vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Selection of merchandise and price negotiation
Merchandise planning and strategy
Budgeting and forecasting
Marketing support and campaign planning
Website product management
Flexible schedule to meet the requirements of position. Job requires a minimum of 4 weeks travel per year.
Travel to markets and showrooms
Sales training assistance
Profit and Loss responsibilities
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
This person is responsible for directing the work of 1-2 Assistant Buyers.
Requires skills to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Possess skills to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Demonstrate the ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in written format.
Education and/or Experience
Four year college or university program degree and five years furniture buying experience is weighted heavy; or two years buying with five years furniture sales; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Higher education degree in related fields a plus (Business and/or Design.)
Mathematical aptitude to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Must be able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Adheres to safe lifting techniques, follows proper training for learned job hazards and ergonomic risk factors, participates in departmental stretching program, and overall maintains a safe working environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Must be able to travel using all forms of transportation including, plane, automobile, bus, train, or boat for extended periods both domestically and internationally.
Updated by JW - 4/16/12
HOM Furniture - 2 years ago