Join our movement
At Success Academy, we make history every single day. Our schools rank in the top 5% in New York State for reading, science, and math. We provide an exploration driven curriculum for grades K-8, focused on the whole child. Chess, art, and other specialized subjects bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. Our communities are calling for more, and we are meeting this urgent demand with rapid expansion.
Are you ready to join this movement and make an indelible mark on education reform across New York City?
The Human Resources team strategically supports employees across all of the Success Academy Charter Schools through benefits and compliance and talent and organizational development. Human Resources initiatives retention and development; performance management; benefits and compensation analysis; new hire orientation; and internal communications and employee engagement. In addition, the Human Resources team strives for continuous improvement in its processes and provides ongoing coaching and expertise as needed to create a culture of joyful excellence.
- Administer all aspects of our robust benefits package comprised of major medical, dental, vision, life, voluntary short-term and long-term disability insurance, as well as our transportation commuter benefit plan, health flex spending account (FSA) and 403b retirement plan. This includes:
- Processing new hire and newly eligible enrollments and assisting in employee questions regarding these programs as they arise
- Assisting in fiscal year-end ERISA testing and tax reporting (5500s)
- Manage the annual Open Enrollment process including creating timelines, communication, promoting awareness, and ensuring the accurate enrollment of all employees.
- Re-evaluate and redesign benefit plans as necessary with the growth of the organization in mind; negotiate the lowest rates possible for employees and SA-CS
- Proactively pursue new initiatives, such as self-funding possibilities, and wellness programs
- Serve as the liaison to the Finance team with regard to processing monthly benefits premiums.
- Perform regular audits of insurance databases to ensure accuracy in enrollment
- Respond to employee inquires regarding information changes and benefits questions
- Lead new hire benefits training and identify methods to streamline and improve communication and enrollment processes.
- Process employee information and deduction changes for payroll
- Ensure accuracy of data that is stored in employee files; both electronic form and hard copy
- Liaise with external brokers, vendors, and 403b financial advisor
- Respond to employment verification requests
- Process short-term disability, COBRA, workers compensation, and unemployment claims
- Advise on current policies and precedents, drafting new policies as necessary
- Aid in data collection and analysis for audits, grants, and government inquiries
- Support the Assistant Director of Human Resources on additional projects
The ideal candidate for this position must have a Bachelor’s Degree; two to three years of direct benefits experience.- PHR or SPHR preferred.
The candidate must demonstrate competency in the following areas:
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team.
- Proactive and ambitious. Possesses an insatiable desire for answers and information, constantly researching and establishing new contacts and resources.
- Data analysis. Intermediate to advanced excel skills strongly preferred, including nested formulas, pivot-tables, and formatting techniques. Uses shortcuts to work quickly and efficiently.
- Technical HR acumen. Knowledgeable about state and federal labor, employment, and insurance law, especially PPACA; charter and education law a plus. Has a strong regard for confidentiality and employs sound reasoning to make quick determinations.
- Attention to detail. Thinks critically about the details of a task at hand. Has an uncommon ability to catch errors at a glance.
- Organization and project management. Keeps track of upcoming, ongoing, and past work product. Understands shifting priorities and deadlines and can juggle multiple and varied projects simultaneously.
- Communication with stakeholders. Gears communications towards the target audience and employs negotiation and buy-in skills as needed. Audiences include, school leaders, teachers, brokers, vendors, and State compliance agencies.
- Public Speaking. Exhibits comfort and confidence when explaining technical terms to small and large groups.
- Flexibility. Enthusiastic about taking on last-minute challenges and changes in schedule.
- Dedication to mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
- Collaboration . Working with teammates to create the final product.
- Beyond Z attitude. Willingness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization .
Please upload a resume and cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Benefits Associate position.
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
At Success Academy, we are redefining what's possible in public education. Our schools rank in the top 1% in math and top 3% in English...