*****THIS POSITION IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO CURRENT, REGULAR EMPLOYEES OF THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT*****
- Under general direction/supervision of the Human Resource Manager, Benefits:
- Provide customer service, general benefits education, and problem resolution for a broad range of benefits issues.
- Provide general counsel to employees on benefits programs.
- Perform data input into a computerized human resources information system (PeopleSoft) to establish and update employee records and benefits information.
- Manage and process new hire enrollments and qualified life event changes.
- Process various payroll reports to ensure payroll is closed in a timely manner with accurate data.
- Set up benefits tables in PeopleSoft and resolve enrollment issues.
- Process daily event maintenance in Benefits Administration function of PeopleSoft; evaluate and correct errors.
- Administer COBRA enrollment and related correspondence.
- Serve as liaison between injured employees, departments, and the State of Arizona Risk Management for worker's compensation claims.
- Process domestic partner applications and reconcile billing.
- Act as liaison with vendors and state entities, providing appropriate employee data, working to resolve employee/vendor/state problems, and maintaining cooperative NAU/vendor/state relationships.
- Assignments occasionally include special projects focused on data cleanup, records retention, process improvement, compliance with laws and regulations, policy changes, and committee assignments.
- Provide formal and informal presentations about benefit programs as needed/requested by supervisor.
- Assist with special events such as open enrollments and benefit fairs.
- Coordinate with other university departments on benefits-related issues and events.
- Draft written materials as needed, including information for newsletters, presentations, employee and retiree correspondence, web pages, and training materials for review and publication.
- Conduct data analysis and research in the customer service function and in resolution of problems.
- Prepare reports to management on benefits-related topics.
- Lead the work of student workers, student interns, or other personnel, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Personnel, Business or Public Administration or related field AND two (2) years of progressively responsible human resource experience in one or more areas which includes experience with benefits administration/programs and experience working within a human resources information system ; OR,
- Six years of progressively responsible human resources experience in one or more areas which includes experience with benefits administration/programs and experience working within a human resource information system; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training approved by Human Resources.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Experience and working knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- State and federal regulations governing benefits
- Principles, practices and standards of human resource administration with emphasis in benefits programs.
- Customer service
- Time management
- Problem solving
- Public speaking/training
- MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Mathematical aptitude
- Complex problem analysis and resolution
- High attention to detail in work productivity while flexible for big-picture/systems thinking
- Other Characteristics:
- Independent and team-oriented work ethic depending on situational demands
- Sensitivity to cultural and intellectual diversity
- Sensitivity to and proper handling of confidential information
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$32,826-$35,400 depending on experience.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
January 4, 2013 at midnight.
Northern Arizona University - 18 months ago