At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing science education and biomedical research in the U.S. and abroad. HHMI has a new opportunity for a Benefits and Compensation Assistant to join our Human Resources department at our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
The Benefits and Compensation Assistant will assist in administration of HHMI’s employee health, welfare and retirement plans. He/she will also, assist in the administration of Benefit programs that include: medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, childbirth disability leave, long-term disability, workers' compensation, leave of absence, FMLA, Flexible Spending (Section 125 and 137) and Retirement Plans (403(b) and 457), AD&D, employee life insurance, dependent life insurance, etc. The Assistant will also perform HRIS data entry for employee transactions and assist in the resolution of benefit and HR related issues and ensure positive employee interactions. He/she will provide administrative support to human resources functions through composing correspondence, record keeping, and file maintenance. We will look for him/her to assist in ensuring plans are administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and plan provisions are followed.
- Under the guidance of Benefits and Compensation team-members, verify and process applications for benefits, requests for benefit changes, job data changes and other transactions related to maintenance of employee HRIS and vendor records; perform accurate and timely data entry into HRIS database;verify that documentation is received and complete
- Support the semi-monthly payroll closing process. Including running reports and mail to regional or headquarters partners as defined by the payroll procedures and follow-up for missing or inaccurate information
- Process eligible education reimbursement requests and ensure the appropriate forms are received, complete and signed off by Human Resources. Calculate the amount of tuition per guidelines and ensure that the correct amount of reimbursement is processed per semester/annum. Process the reimbursement requests in HR and send to payroll for payment.
- Reconcile benefit premiums and provide to Benefits Administrator for audit to ensure accurate, timely payment
- Maintain HR file room in compliance with HHMI records retention policies and procedures and with HHMI standards of confidentiality and strict compliance with HIPAA and other privacy regulations
- Open, sort, date stamp and distribute mail to respective mail boxes; bring time sensitive items to the immediate attention of the addressee
- Provide support to the Benefits Administration and Compensation teams as needed; Contribute to successful implementation of annual benefits open enrollment process; Proofread HHMI policies and procedures and related documents; Look for and bring forward more efficient ways to do business; Keep the Benefits & Compensation Team advised of potential problem areas and suggest solutions; Upon request, audit data entry performed by others on the Benefit and Compensation teams
- Ask HR - Triage and respond to emails or forward to appropriate HR Team member, within HR Departmental guidelines
- Answer benefits hotline – 8920,triage, respond or provide soft transfer to appropriate HR Team member
Education and Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- Associates or Bachelors degree in Benefits, Human Resources, Business, or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- Three to five years administrative experience in human resources or benefits preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft office package
- Familiarity with a Human Resources Information System; PeopleSoft Human Resources module desirable
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong attention to detail and ability to review and audit data
- Ability to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate with all levels of employees in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and as a team member. Ability to maintain constructive working relationships
- Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-oriented organization with excellent salaries and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications, interest in the position, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Internal candidates, please apply by December 7, 2012.
Principles only. No phone calls please.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute - 6 months ago
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute is dedicated to discovering and disseminating new knowledge in the basic life sciences. HHMI grounds its...