GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
As a Big Data Senior Researcher, you will work closely with other researchers and GE businesses to identify and implement exciting technologies that enable new business and product opportunities in diverse areas such as healthcare, Smart Grid, and remote monitoring and diagnostics.
The Knowledge Discovery Lab fosters a diversity of technology and research areas of critical importance to the GE businesses. These core technologies include, but are not limited to: knowledge capture and representation, semantic technologies, massive-scale/big data management and processing, and novel data visualization and pattern discovery technologies. We apply these technologies in exciting areas such as data-driven decisioning for asset utilization and maintenance, capturing knowledge from unstructured data in field service reports, and utilizing semantic models and ontology to link and reason from data.
Technical backgrounds for the group include computer science, computer and systems engineering, database and data mining, and logic and reasoning systems.
You will have opportunities to work both individually and with teams to:
- Support business decisions and new product designs for GE businesses
- Design and implement innovative software systems to solve key business challenges and create new products
- Rapidly prototype and iteratively develop novel technologies and proofs of concept
- Investigate tools, software, and processes, using what works and identifying what’s needed to fill the gaps
- Innovate, patent and publish, as appropriate
- Be a part of a rapidly growing software research organization whose technologies are vital to the company’s future.
- Doctorate Degree in Computer Science, Computer and/or Systems Engineering, or a related discipline with at least 7 years of relevant experience OR Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer and/or Systems Engineering, or a related discipline with at least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to: experience designing and developing scalable software architectures to manage and manipulate massive-scale datasets, including architectures for big data capture, representation, information extraction and fusion.
- Demonstrated experience with big data computing concepts such as parallel computing, distributed computing and/or cloud computing, and related technologies such as Hadoop and/or other NoSQL technologies, Cassandra, Gleenplum and more.
- Demonstrated experience with Java and database technologies, such as relational, hierarchical and graph databases, distributed data file systems, data federation and query optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to implement high quality software in diverse areas.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
This position is eligible for The Double Rewards Employee Referral Program
Imagine what GE Global Research will make happen next. If you are ready to join us, click on the “Apply to job” button below.
- Strong publication record in database and “big data” technologies
- At least five years of software design and development experience
- Experience with the design and implementation of stream processing/complex event processing systems against ‘web-scale’ streaming data
- Experience with in-memory data stores and in-memory analytics
- Experience with various system development technologies including software development frameworks (such as Spring), development tools (such as Eclipse), and user interface development environments (such as HTML5)
- Experience with one or more database applications and database design
- Ability to translate customer needs into a project plan and deliverables
- Ability to draw upon other technical areas to find solutions
- Ability to break down a problem and efficiently work toward implementation of solutions with minimal guidance
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team
- Ability to motivate and lead project teams with diverse skillsets
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
GE Careers - 20 months ago
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...