Help Rebuild the Middle Class
Important opportunity to work on innovative campaigns to empower workers in the 99 percent to take on the power of the 1 percent. We need creative electoral campaigners, social and environmental activists, community organizers, labor organizers, students interested in starting social justice careers to work alongside low-wage workers as they speak out together for good jobs. Must be willing to work in stressful, hectic campaign environment and bring strong field and relational skills. Candidate should have a track record of working or volunteering for underdogs and overlooked causes.
Are you ready to fight for what you believe in? Do you want to do something to make a difference? Are you looking to work in the social and economic justice movement? If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of the questions above then union organizing is for you!
To apply: Cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position. Cover letters should describe your qualifications, experience and career goals, as well as a brief description of why you want to work to realize SEIU's vision for building a strong union.
Job Description: For more than 75 years, SEIU has been helping working families stand up for their rights, fighting for dignity and respect in the workplace. With a membership of 2.2 million strong, SEIU is the fastest-growing union in the labor movement. Our diverse staff of organizers helps janitors, home care aids, mental health workers, office workers, school bus drivers, public employees, nurses, and other hospital workers join forces to bring democracy to the workplace.
The SEIU--WAVE (Organizer-In-Training) Program is a 12-month training program. As an Organizer-in-Training with the SEIU WAVE Program you will be learning from a dynamic union that is committed to giving a voice to thousands of workers and helping to provide lasting social change for the working class.
At SEIU (www.seiu.org) , we are looking for energetic and passionate individuals who are ready to organize people to fight for better lives for themselves and their families. This is your opportunity to put your commitment to social and economic justice to work by learning the skills needed to build power for working people.
If selected you will be trained on any of our many organizing campaigns within the United States.
STARTING SALARY: $36,600 /annual
- Comprehensive health benefits package for employee and eligible dependents.
- $560/month car allowance
- $60/ month cell phone allowance
- Airfare, hotels, rental cars paid for when traveling
- $50/day per diem when traveling
- When assigned to a campaign in a state other than your home state, you will be sent home every other weekend.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It’s not just a job….It’s a movement!
Job Qualifications: Who should apply?
Union organizing is not easy and not for everyone. This program is designed to help train you on the many aspects of union organizing and learn skills that can be used in many aspects of the social justice movement. A successful applicant for the organizer-in-training position should have the following:
- Bilingual Spanish and English
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots organizing
- Possession of excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possession of excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of others
- Ability to manage your time independently and carry out work plans with minimal supervision
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of time
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to motivate and activate others
- Possession of sharp problem-solving skills
- Possession of basic map navigation skills a plus
- Possession of a valid driver’s license required and ability to rent a car
Service Employees International Union - 2 years ago
With 1.9 million members, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the fastest-growing labor union in North America. Together...