About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with approximately 1,600 attorneys in Beijing, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Munich, New York, Palo Alto, San Francisco, Shanghai and Washington, D.C. Our practice consists of sophisticated corporate transactions and litigation matters including antitrust and competition, intellectual property, restructuring, real estate, tax, benefits and estate planning, white collar criminal defense and securities enforcement, regulatory, environmental, energy, commodities, communications, securities, creditors' rights, private equity and venture capital. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions and leveraged buyout and venture capital firms.
Qualifications & Requirements
The Billing Assistant II must possess good interpersonal skills in order to work effectively within a team environment, and the ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume, highly demanding environment Additional requirements include working knowledge of Word, good customer service demeanor and flexibility for possible over time hours. Ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, two (2) years of billing experience, working knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, and strong e-billing experience with various e-billing software.
Essential Job Functions
The Chicago office is seeking a Billing Assistant II who will be responsible for the coordination and active administration of all facets of the billing and collection function. The position requires the active coordination of the preparation of client invoices and the monitoring and follow-up on those invoices after they are sent. These responsibilities would include working with the Billing Attorney and responsible attorneys to pro-actively administer their billing responsibilities, actively monitoring the status of multiple matters, coordinating the preparation and processing of timely and high quality invoices, monitoring and coordinating the follow-up on outstanding receivables. Provide assistance to Senior Billing Assistant as requested.
Essential Job Functions Include:
• Administration of attorney billing responsibilities:
• Actively manage the client billing and collection environment for assigned clients. Monitor aging of unbilled fees for assigned billing attorneys and/or clients.
• Monitor and manage outstanding accounts receivable, unapplied funds and collection efforts.
• Meet with billing attorneys to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices and strategy for collections.
• Remain current on all billing-related responsibilities.
• As requested, handle special billing projects and provide basic financial data and analysis.
• Generate BIMs for each assigned Billing Attorney at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline.
• Prepare billing packages for each assigned Billing/Reviewing Attorney (draft cover letters, invoices).
• Edit draft invoices based on Billing/Reviewing Attorneys' mark-up. This can include: Write-offs
• Time/cost transfers; investigate appropriateness of where entries should be billed.
• Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions.
• Verify client specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; keep track of volume discounts based on thresholds reached.
• Pull back-up of costs to include with final invoices based on a client's billing requirements.
• Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports; acquire appropriate write-off approvals based on write-off amount thresholds.
• Prepare electronic invoices in LEDES; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions.
• Establish working relationships with e-billing site vendors; make certain all timekeepers and rates are up-to-date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed.
• Ensure three way communication between e-billing site, client and the Firm (as thee-billing site processes invoices based on the Clients' Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines).
• Track status of bills submitted, identify issues and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise.
• Monitor payment of assigned clients' accounts receivable and coordinate collection efforts.
• Extensive follow-up with billing attorneys and clients.
• Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts.
• Provide assistance to Billing Attorneys and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices.
• Maintain/enter status updates in Firm's collection database.
• Communicate situations as they evolve that may require Supervisor follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in anyway for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.
Kirkland & Ellis LLP - 11 months ago
copy to clipboard
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a law firm with approximately 1,600 lawyers representing global clients in complex litigation and dispute...