Under the general supervision of Supervisor and the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at San Francisco General Hospital, the Billing and Coding Coordinator will work independently and have primary responsibility for the coordination of all clinical operations at St. Luke’s and St. Mary’ Medical Center as well as the Orthopedic Institute (OI) and San Jose Regional.
These clinical enterprises will require the individual to develop and maintain all of the clinical operations of the Orthopedic Trauma Practice at these offsite locations. The Coordinator must have the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks and work well with staff, patients and providers. A high degree of independence, initiative, assertiveness, and diplomacy are necessary in dealing with faculty, staff and patients in a complex environment. This position will interact with UCSF surgeons, outside physicians and surgeons, managers, and staff as well as St. Luke’s, St. Mary’ the OI and San Jose Medical personnel relating to the clinical operations.
Reviews medical documents submitted by providers to ensure appropriate and accurate documentation for billing and coding compliance. The candidate is responsible for educating, training and updating staff and physicians on billing and coding policies, procedures and guidelines and changes. This position will interact with surgeons, departmental managers and staff with regard to their billing and coding inquires, and will be responsible for identifying and correcting billing and coding problems in the departmental billing operations.
• BA/BS or equivalent combination of education and experience
• One year of billing experience.
• Requires medical terminology and technical billing knowledge
• Requires knowledge of hospital procedures and protocols in following through with medical record issues
• Previous experience in a patient care setting working directly with physicians
• Previous experience reconciling payment ledgers
• Experience analyzing charge encounter forms and operative reports for correct usage of CPT and ICD-9 codes
• Strong skills in a Window based environment, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, Access DB
• Ability to type 40 words a minute
• Certified Professional Coding Certificate
• Strong math skills
• Proven ability to communicate and interact with diverse groups including excellent verbal, written communication
• Demonstrated excellent attendance and reliability
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; bending; waist twisting; kneeling; climbing stairs; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting 21-30 pounds; pushing/pulling up to 30 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; latex, verbal communication; use protective equipment.
• E&M Certification