Division: Natural, Social and Applied Sciences
Contra Costa College
Last Day to Apply: March 29, 2013 by 5:00 p.m.
JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Contra Costa College, located in San Pablo, California is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure track Biological Sciences Assistant Professor.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE
(FIRST YEAR FACULTY)
$54,576 to $82,128 depending on education and experience
Note: A collective bargaining agreement exists and membership in United Faculty or payment of a service fee is required.
BENEFITS Membership in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS)
District-paid benefits (employee contributes 6%) for employee and dependents/domestic partners include: * Medical (Health Net or Kaiser) insurance including chiropractic
EMPLOYMENT BEGINS Fall 2013 (mid-August)
- Dental and vision
- Flexible spending (125) plan
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Deferred compensation (403b and 457)
- Sabbatical Leave
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This is a full-time tenure track academic position. The teaching assignment will be in microbiology and other biology courses as needed. This position is typically assigned 18 lecture and lab hours/week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To provide classroom instruction in accordance with approved course outlines.
2. To prepare and grade class assignments and examinations and inform students of their academic progress.
3. To inform students of course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements.
4. To maintain attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to published deadlines.
5. To post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy.
6. To participate in department staff development and program improvement initiatives.
7. To participate in the College's shared governance process, curriculum development and related instruction areas.
The applicant must possess one of the following qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
1. A valid lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential with authorization to teach Biological Science OR
2. A Master's Degree in any Biological Science OR
3. A Bachelor's Degree in any Biological Science AND a Master's Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science OR
4. The equivalent. (If you are applying for equivalency, please complete the equivalency form at the end of the job application.)
1. Possession of a Master's Degree or Doctorate in Biology.
2. Evidence of scholarship, preparation, and teaching experience in teaching lecture/laboratory courses in microbiology, especially as oriented towards pre-nursing
3. Evidence of scholarship, preparation, and teaching experience in teaching lecture/laboratory courses in human anatomy, human physiology, non-majors general biology, majors-level general biology, and/or biotechnology.
4. Community College and/or University teaching experience in teaching microbiology, especially as oriented towards pre-nursing students.
5. Community College and/or University teaching experience teaching human anatomy, human physiology, non-majors general biology, majors-level general biology, and/or biotechnology.
6. Experience in growing and plating bacteria, identifying bacteria, aseptic technique, and clinical applications of pathogens relevant to pre-nursing students.
7. Evidence of rigorous, enthusiastic, and effective teaching.
8. Effective communication skills with students, staff, and colleagues.
9. Knowledge of the problems, needs, and characteristics of the community colleges and their students, including those in vocational and transfer programs.
10. Commitment to the missions, goals, and purposes of the California Community College system.
11. Demonstrated sensitivity to, and willingness to work with diverse racial, ethnic, gender, disabled, and cultural populations.
12. Ability and willingness to modify personal teaching style based on current research in effective teaching strategies.
1. Applications will be screened to ensure the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
2. A committee will screen the Supplemental Job Information Questionnaire and rate the applicant on desirable qualifications.
3. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest rating of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college at their own expense for an interview and teaching demonstration. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for mid-April 2013. Such an interview is a prerequisite to employment.
4. After completion of the above three steps, up to five (5) applicants will be invited to return for an interview with the College President or designee.
5. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of the Contra Costa Community College District.
COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKET
MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
Last day to apply: March 29, 2013 by 5:00 p.m.
Vice President's Office
Contra Costa College
2600 Mission Bell Drive
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 235-7800 ext. 4217
NO FAXED OR E-MAILED MATERIALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
To view full job description and apply, visit: http://www.4cd.edu/career/fulltime_faculty/Biological%20Sciences%20Assistant%20Professor.pdf
A complete application packet consists of:
The submission of a complete application packet is the responsibility of the applicant. Incomplete or late packets will not be accepted.
- Contra Costa Community College District Application for Employment - Academic [Applications, supplemental job information questionnaires, and information may be obtained at www.4cd.edu, "Career Opportunities", or by calling (510) 235-7800 ext 1162.]
- Supplemental Questionnaire Answers
- Copy of college transcript(s) for screening purposes
- Equivalency form (found at the end of this application) and supporting documentation (if qualifying under #4 of Minimum Qualifications)
Contra Costa College is a dynamic comprehensive community college with a diverse student population. The institution has served the communities of West Contra Costa County for more than 60 years. Most of the 7,000-plus students who attend the college come from local communities, but many also come from neighboring communities and from countries throughout the world. The college offers certificates and degree programs in 70 areas. It prepares students for immediate employment and for transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Faculty and staff are proud to be affiliated with an institution that has a tradition of excellence and a reputation of educating students to live and work in a diverse global environment.
Reasons why this position is attractive…
The Contra Costa Community College District is a Drug-Free work place. The District verifies that all new employees are either U.S. citizens or aliens authorized to work in the U.S., in conformance with the 1986 Immigration and Control Act.
- Is in an excellent recruiting area and district
- Contra Costa College promotes a diverse working environment with quality faculty and staff
- Encourages student academic success through the Academic Skills Center, Early Alert program, grade checks, and academic counseling
- Contra Costa College is continuing to build its tradition of excellence in its academic programs, leading to a high student transfer rate and the success of its students in their four-year college and university experiences
- Our Academic and Classified Senates are active in the effective shared governance process of the college
Potential employees should be aware that smoking is prohibited in many areas of the District facilities.
THE CONTRA COST
A COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for reasonable accommodation may be made to: Director of Business Services (510) 235-7800, ext. 4209
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
DiverseJobs.net - 21 months ago