Interest Sub Category:
Job Title :
Type of Position:
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related discipline (e.g., ecology, botany, resource management) and a minimum of two (2) years post-graduate professional experience in biology or botany, including substantial experience in Southern California. A master's degree may substitute for 1-2 years experience, and a Ph.D. degree may substitute for up to three years experience, at URS' discretion.
• Candidates must be able to survey for and identify common and special-status plant species in Southern California's desert and coastal environments. Familiarity with USFWS, CDFG, and CNPS plant survey protocols is required, and candidates must be able to identify plants using dichotomous keys. Ability to characterize and map vegetation communities in Southern California using currently accepted methods (e.g., Sawyer/Keeler-Wolf/Evens) is also required.
• Candidates must have a working knowledge of environmental laws including NEPA, CEQA, ESA, and CESA.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required, and candidates must be able to provide examples of prior written work.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, in particular) is required.
• Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
Do the best work of your life!
URS Corporation is seeking a qualified individual for immediate placement as a biologist on the Biological Resources team in our Santa Barbara, California office.The successful candidate will be responsible for working on complex and challenging projects in the oil and gas, renewable energy, infrastructure, and public sector markets with senior guidance and supervison. Duties will include assisting with protocol floristic surveys; vegetation mapping; terrestrial and marine wildlife monitoring; stream and wetland delineations; organizing data collection for subsequent analysis; preparing biological technical reports; evaluating biological impacts; and interacting with clients and agency representatives. Projects are usually located in central and southern California, but opportunities for travel to other areas of the U.S. arise occasionally. Position requires the candidate to be a self-starter, able to work well as a team member, and work away from home on field assignments for periods of up to ten (10) days. 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and work on oil/gas/remediation sites may be required.
URS is a leading provider of engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies around the world. The Company offers a broad range of planning, engineering and architectural design, environmental, construction, program and construction management, systems integration, operations and maintenance, management and a wide range of specialized technical services for the U.S. federal government, state and local government agencies, Fortune 500 companies and other multinational corporations. We provide services for transportation, hazardous waste, industrial infrastructure and process, petrochemical, general building, water/wastewater, military facilities and equipment platforms, and defense and security programs.URS has more than 47,000 employees in a network of offices in 34 countries. Our local Biological Resources practice includes over 50 full-time biologists in our California offices.
URS Corporation - 12 months ago
Santa Barbara, CA
- 23 days ago
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...