Kern Community College District
The successful candidate will be expected to provide instruction in a full range of courses including, but not limited to, General Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy/Physiology and Environmental Biology, depending on institutional need.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day, evening classes or weekend classes, large classes, distance learning, or using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include participating in student recruitment and articulation of programs; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum, using computer and multimedia technologies; assessing student learning and program level outcomes; collegially participating in department, college, and discipline-specific activities.
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITITES:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they are broadly prepared and have a depth of knowledge in the discipline. In addition, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes innovation, teaching, learning and service to diverse student population;
• Ability to effectively work with students with a wide range of skills, motivations, academic and vocational goals;
• Ability to participate in the development of curriculum, including curriculum delivered via new modalities;
• Ability to participate in recruitment and articulation activities with local schools, colleges and universities;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain subject matter currency;
• Ability to assess student learning outcomes;
• Knowledge of computers and willingness to explore new technologies that would benefit program;
• Knowledge of and commitment to the California community college mission.
Education and Experience
Master’s in any biological science,
OR – Bachelor’s in any biological science AND Master’s in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science,
OR – The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
AND – A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Position Number: 00699
Posting Date: 01/25/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Work Week: This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty position eligible for tenure after the fourth year of successful employment.
Minimum Salary: $47,693.88 per year
Maximum Salary: $76,928.28 per year
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Requested Start Date: 08/22/2013
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by Monday, February 25, 2013, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copy of sample syllabi
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3291
- 3 years ago - save job