Note: This position is for August , 2013.
Teaches courses with an emphasis in general biology for both the biology major and non-biology major. Provides instruction and develops curricular materials primarily for non-majors General Biology (Bio100) and majors General Biology (Bio181) including online and/or hybrid sections. Reflects recent advances in the discipline. Develops and provides instruction that incorporates current teaching methodologies, technologies and other trends in science education, incorporates instructional technologies that enhance success of under prepared students from diverse backgrounds. Provides leadership and assistance in developing the Allied Health programs as well as leadership in developing, expanding, and supporting the Life Science programs at Mesa Community College. Works with diverse student and faculty population on campus-wide projects and to enhance the learning environment for the student body and local community. Demonstrates a commitment to the service excellent, innovation, student success, integrity, and in the performance of job duties.
Supervises and instructs a diverse student population in classroom and laboratory settings, incorporating methodologies and technologies; assesses students' knowledge of subject matter and student learning. Develops written syllabi and course outlines and course students' scholastic records; prepares and grades exams and maintains office hours. Interacts with students outside of classroom; develops and enhances knowledge of subject matter taught and individual training skills required to remain current with educational trends and developments in Biology through attendance of conferences, workshops, courses, seminars, etc. Participates in college and campus committees. Participates in outreach activities in the local community and works to enhance the learning community of Mesa Community College
Demonstrates a commitment to service excellence, innovation, student success, integrity and diversity in the performance of job duties.
Agricultural Sciences, Anatomy, Biology, Bioengineering, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Sciences, Biosciences, Biotechnology, Botany, Cancer Biology, Cell Biology, Chiropractic Doctorate, Conservation-Wildlife/Plant/Animal, Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Evolutionary Biology, Embryology, Entomology, Environmental Science, Environmental Biology, Ecology, Genetics, Immunology, Limnology, Mammology, Marine Sciences, Marine Biology,Medical Doctorate, Medical Sciences, Microbiology - Soil/Medical/Veterinary, Molecular Biology, Mycology, Neurobiology, Neuroscience, Nutritional Sciences, Osteopathic Doctorate, Ornithology, Pathology, Parasitology Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Physiology, Plant And Animal Sciences, Public Health - Epidemiology/Infectious Disease/Toxicology, Veterinary Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, Virology, Zoology.
- A Master's degree or higher in a biology related discipline, in a medical or health related discipline, or in Education, with a minimum of twenty-four (24) upper division and/or graduate semester hours in a Biological or Life Science Area. Acceptable disciplines, degrees, and coursework include but are not limited to:
Courses related to science teaching or teaching methods do not meet the MCCCD course requirements.
- EDU250-Teaching and Learning in the Community College-or equivalent must be completed within two years of date of hire.
lectures, labs, and online.
- Trained biologist in multiple areas of specialty/experience applicable to general biology
- Background in college teaching (Community College teaching preferred) in
interactive learning strategies; Web 2.0 technologies, simulations).
- Experience in using modern educational methods (e.g., student-centered,
- Experience working with diverse student populations (socioeconomic, age, gender, race, etc.).
- Experience working independently as well as in close collaboration with other
Special Working Conditions
- Experience teaching both biology majors and non majors.
- Three (3) or more years of teaching experience.
- Experience working with under prepared and/or developmental education students.
May be required to work and instruct during evenings and/or weekends, at multiple sites, and/or assigned to teach on specific days. May be exposed to hazardous materials including chemicals, fumes, stains, and may work with body fluids and cadaver materials.
Maricopa County Community College District - 2 years ago