Perform basic and guided advanced donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide intermediate reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Perform advanced manufacturing and processing procedures, as applicable. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures, Safety Quality Identity Potency Purity (SQUIPP), regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Clinical Laboratory Information Act (CLIA), and other applicable Federal, state and local regulations.
1. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
2. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
3. Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
4. Perform and interpret independent basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
5. Perform inventory management, coordination and shipment duties associated with donor product inventory including the maintence of the exceptional and rare donor products.
6. Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
7. May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
8. Perform maintence, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
IR1007 Technologist II, IRL.doc 2 Total Rewards – TR ver. 12/10
9. May perform duties associated with document development management.
10. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
11. Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
12. May perform internal staff training and/or competency reviews, if applicable. May perform external customer education.
13. May assume lead responsibilities such as record review and training.
14. Perform other related duties as necessary.
MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) /equivalent with 4 years experience, bachelor’s degree with major in biological science or chemistry plus 6 years blood banking experience, or MLT (ASCP) certification plus 4 years blood banking experience.
MT (ASCP) and/or BB(ASCP) or equivalent preferred. State license may be required where applicable.
American Red Cross - 11 months ago
A specialist in dealing with events beyond its control, The American National Red Cross offers disaster relief, shelter, and other...