To work safely and maintain a safe work environment for yourself and others. Work in a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation under the direction and responsible to the Boiler/Co-Gen Supervisor. This position will have the primary responsibility for the safe, continuous and environmentally compliant operation of a waste wood fired boiler, back pressure turbine generator and all facility auxiliary equipment to support its operation. They will be the primary control room operator, interfacing with computer based control systems for direct process control. They will be responsible to direct other crew members during day to day operations as well as assist in prioritizing maintenance work activities for successful operational result as well as documenting and recording of operating data on a shift basis. Occasional interface with the local electrical provider and other outside contacts will be required. This position will be required to communicate with other facility operations on frequent occasions for communications and co-ordination of entire facility. They will be expected to assist maintenance personnel, perform equipment isolation and lock-outs, identify and initiate maintenance work requests and work as directed.
1. Promote and practice safe work habits & comply with all company work & safety standards.
2. Operate to maintain compliance with all environmental requirements and standards
3. Strive to maintain stable steam supply to all users as needed to achieve desired mill production rates
4. Monitor and adjust process to maintain all operational targets that have been established
5. Must provide direction and priorities for other crew members
5. Monitor and log all parameters as established within the department
6. Initiate and write maintenance work orders—and assist with their prioritization
7. Clean and maintain assigned areas
8. Keep the control room neat and clean at all times
9. Assure that boiler water is maintained at the proper levels, and that proper boiler water chemistry is maintained
10. Assist with developing and maintaining proper lock out procedures as required
11. Assist with developing and maintaining JSA’s
12. Test and record low water alarms and trips as required
13. Assure safe and stable operation of the turbine generator
14. Warm up-start, and shutdown turbine generator as required
15. Maintain all turbine generator operational parameters as directed
16. Communicate to Local Electrical Utility all start-ups, shut downs and other required information
17. Communicate as required with local Environmental agencies – initial notifications only
18. Communicate with other facility departments to keep them advised of any operational difficulties, steam shortages, or outages
19. Make routine equipment rounds
20. Assist with lubrication needs on all equipment
21. Take lead in initiating equipment lock-outs
22. Assist with water testing as required
23. Capable of walking around catwalks, conveyors, elevated platforms, and un-even surfaces
24. Work as directed
25. Ensure the safe and environmental compliant operations of all equipment
26. Follow Company lockout, safety, and work standards
27. Attend any training necessary to upgrade performance
28. Notify supervisor of any problems that arise during the shift, as established in the standard operating procedures
29. Assist maintenance personnel during breakdowns and shut downs
30. Train any employees as assigned by supervisor
31. Work overtime as necessary
32. Maintain a neat and clean work place
33. Operate all equipment under normal, upset, start-up and shut-down conditions
34. Work as directed
Average hours per week: Normal work schedule including rotating 12 hr shifts.
Shift: Day or Night Shift
Tools or equipment used for this position and frequency of use:
1. Electric or pneumatic power wrench - occasionally
2. Grease Gun – occasionally
3. Hand Tools (ie: wrenches, screw drivers) – occasionally
Percentage of time during normal workday the employee is required to:
Drive - 0-10% Sit - 20-70% Twist - 0-10% Climb - 0-10%
Stand - 40-90% Crawl - 0-5%
Squat - 0-2% Bend - 0-2%
Walk - 0-20% Lift - 0-5%
Weight required to be lifted each normal workday: (Occasionally 1-33%,
Frequently 34-66%, Continuously 67-100%)
Not Req'd Occasional Frequently Continuously
0-10 lbs X
10-20 lbs X
20-35 lbs X
35-50 lbs X
50-75 lbs X * Note: any lifting over 50lbs
75-100lbs X requires special provisions.
Over 100 lbs X
Describe and explain the lifting and carrying requirements:
Lifting and use of grate cleaning rake, occasional use of wheel barrow, shovels, and brooms
Repetitive use of hands:
Simple Grasping: Normal weight 0-15 lbs, frequently
Pushing/Pulling: Normal weight 0- 50 lbs, frequently(opening/closing large valves)
Fine Manipulations Required: Use of control switches and buttons, and computer key boards
Repetitive use of foot or feet in operating machine controls:
Use of foot pedals.
Sensory requirements (speech, vision, smell, touch, hearing):
All are required.
Environmental factors of each normal workday:
Time spent: Inside 10-12 hours, Outside 0-2 hours
Temperature: 95%Normal range –5% High temp
Humidity: Normal range
Atmosphere: Fumes ___ Odors___ Dust _X_ Gas ___
(Dust from fuel and ash systems).
Special hazards: Mechanical X Electrical X Chemical X
Explosive Radiation Other High Temp and Pressure Steam
Describe: Boiler operation will be 24/7--Need to be alert at all times. Learn to use
proper safeguards and follow safe operating procedures.
Personal Protective Equipment required:
Safety glasses, hard hat, safety-toed work boots, hearing protection, Hi-Viz/Reflective wear, full face respirator, and gloves.
These examples are not meant to be inclusive and management reserves the right to change, add or delete in order to meet the needs of the operation and crew.
Employees are expected to maintain a clear and orderly work space, assist fellow workers whenever possible and work other shifts as necessary. Comply with Company work and SAFETY standards and utilize required personal protective equipment.
Must be an experienced operator or be trained by an experienced operator. Previous experience with hog fuel fired boiler and turbine generator operations is preferred. Boiler operations, water treatment, process controls and other related training shall be attended when offered by the company. Must possess or be capable of learning basic computer skills and be able to demonstrate ability to maintain process control thru the use of computer based control
Rotating 12 HR shifts
$21.39 + applicable shift differential
Hampton Affiliates - 18 months ago