Groundswell, New York's leading organization dedicated to community public art, seeks a Bookkeeper to serve as a key member of our small administrative staff. Groundswell brings together artists, youth, and community organizations to use art as a tool for social change. Our projects beautify neighborhoods, engage youth in societal and personal transformation, and give expression to ideas and perspectives that are underrepresented in the public dialog.
The Bookkeeper supports Groundswell's Executive Director and Office Manager in helping to organize and manage the majority of day-today accounting and bookkeeping activities. This part-time, permanent position reports directly to Groundswell’s Executive Director and works on specific responsibilities outlined below.
- Accounting Standards and Procedures: Lead the organization's accounting efforts in all respects. Ensure that the organization's accounting practices follow generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP) and provide for financial information and reporting as may be required. Ensure proper documentation and retention of accounting records as required by all applicable laws, regulations, rules, and GAAP standards, including the valuation and tracking of multi-year gifts and other restricted funds.
- Account Reconciliations: Perform account reconciliations as necessary to verify and validate entries into the accounting system. Perform monthly reconciliations of all bank and investment accounts.
- Ad-Hoc Financial Reporting: From time to time, the Executive Director and/or the Board of Directors may request financial information to aid its decision-making. The Bookkeeper must produce costing reports, analysis, forecasts and projections as needed.
- Monthly Financial Statements & Yearend Close-out: Lead Groundswell’s month-end and year-end accounting processes. Prepare adjusting entries and journal entries as needed so that the financials accurately represent the organization's financial position. Prepare financial statements, supporting reports and the Budget-to-Actual report for the board. Update and retain all supporting documents and subsidiary records. Prepare year-end financial statements and all required note disclosures.
- Budget Preparation, Reporting and Analysis: Prepare Groundswell’s annual budget in close collaboration with the senior leadership team. Provide analysis of fixed expenses, inflationary trends, expansion needs, etc.
- Audit Engagements: Work with the Executive Director and Office Manager in planning and preparation for all audits.
- Back-up Capacity: Bookkeeper must provide back-up in the performance of standard bookkeeping and accounting functions. These functions include: payroll, check issuance, accounts receivable, accounts payable, entry into the accounting system.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required;
- Certified Public Accountant certification is preferred;
- Minimum of three year’s successful experience in the field of non-profit accounting is preferred;
- Knowledge of accounting laws, regulations, rules and standard practices with an emphasis on non-profit organizations.
- Strong attention to detail and eagerness to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
- Well developed computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Quickbooks;
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to the indicated email address. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline for submission: April 2, 2013. No faxes, phone calls or in-person deliveries, please. We regret that we cannot respond to every application; only potential candidates will be contacted.