Common Sense Media ( www.commonsense.org ), is the nation’s leading nonpartisan organization devoted to improving the media and technology lives of kids and families.
Our Web site is a leading parent destination for parents and educators, providing information and guidance to make the most of the powerful media that surrounds and influences our kids. Our age-appropriate media ratings, video-on-demand, and parenting tips and advice are widely distributed and can be found onscreen and online through leading media partners that include Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DIRECTV, Cox Communications, Fandango, Yahoo!, Disney, Google, Netflix, Apple and Facebook. Our digital literacy curriculum is in over 60 thousand schools around the country and we are in 100 million homes.
The Brand Marketing Manager is responsible for growing brand awareness of the Common Sense Media brand. He/she is a champion for the brand and leads ongoing marketing efforts through channels including broadcast, print, and online. He/she reports to the Vice President of Marketing, and works closely with cross-functional teams and agency resources to define and execute programs and campaigns that drive awareness and engagement. This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
Brand Platform Implementation (20%)
- Oversees development of creative/communications to ensure consistent brand messaging.
- Refines master brand communications platform and messaging architecture; rolls out and trains staff.
- Works cross functionally with other groups to make all employees keepers of the brand in their roles.
Consumer Insights and Measurement (10%)
- Designs and conducts research to understand users. Use panel, quantitative and qualitative methods to gather insights.
- Test and track effectiveness of marketing efforts, analyze to optimize efforts.
- Creates tools to bring knowledge of our consumer to all staff—personas, segmentation, etc.
Brand Marketing (70%)
- Manage pro bono agency partners to execute creation and placement of PSAs that are on brand and maximize opportunity to expand engagement with broadcast and online partners.
- Create broadcast and online brand campaigns and promotional plans that significantly increase awareness of Common Sense Media brand.
- Identify non-traditional opportunities to drive engagement and work of mouth programs.
- Work with business development team to define needs/impression targets, manage relationships to maximize execution of partnerships.
- Identify and secure brand-building partnerships that help grow awareness of our content and our mission.
Competencies: Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities
- Excellent brand and creative skills assessing messaging working including directing, briefing, and managing production
- Recruit and mange pro bono agency partners
- Strong marketing and strategy background where innovation/creativity is key
- Understanding of research methodologies and experience measuring impact
- Execution-focused and able to convert energy and strategy into action and results
- Understanding of media—strategy/mix across broadcast, print, online, social, etc.
- Initiative and resourcefulness; ability to drive results in creative ways even when having limited resources
- Strong teamwork and partnership building skills; cooperative working style
- Flexible and responsive; able to perform in a dynamic work environment.
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude
- A passion for the Common Sense Media brand and mission
- Strong leadership and persuasive written and verbal communication skills; ability to influence, communicate vision and motivate people
- Take significant responsibility for projects' successes and/or challenges including business results
- Demonstrate integrity, maturity, and set an example of constructive, positive leadership for the team and vendors
Experience & Education
- 5-8 years of related work experience in brand development and brand marketing including partner development.
- Must have past successes developing consumer brands including measurement/evaluation of mix/strategy.
- Experience managing advertising, design and/or word of mouth efforts/resources including agency experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or equivalent
THE “X” FACTOR
You have great attention to detail and follow-through
You have a true sense of ownership; passionate for results
You are a skilled communicator and collaborator and are inspired by the Common Sense Media mission
You have a great sense of humor – even when meeting tough deadlines
WHAT WE OFFER
A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
Very competitive salary based on experience
An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
Competitive benefits including, Medical, Dental, Vision, free gym membership and a matching 401(k) plan
The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!