The fully qualified Broadband Technician installs, maintains/repairs and tests residential/small business broadband products such as; High Speed Internet (HSI), Networking, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition TV.
This job requires that you take the online unproctored Technician Assessment within five calendar days of applying in order to be considered.
If you do not take the assessment within the designated five-day period, you will be considered to have self-selected out of the requisition.
Please take this assessment seriously, as the information provided will be used to determine who will be moving forward in the selection process.
Please allow yourself sufficient time in a distraction-free environment, and please take this assessment on a PC (not a mobile phone or other electronic device).
If you have already taken the Technician Assessment, you will not need to take it again.
Please simply click on the assessment link provided so that your results may be attached to the current requisition.
Detailed information regarding the Technician Assessment may be found at the following link (you may need to copy and paste this link into your browser):
Any questions regarding our required assessment should be sent to the HR Testing Inbox:
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and at the location for 18 months (Time in Location). Employee will be held accountable for customer communication and interaction as well as quality and productivity standards.
- Work with computer operating systems to install and/or repair home and/or small business standard HSI or networking products.
- Analyze and troubleshoot technical problems or issues.
- Review and discuss service order requirements and equipment requests with customers.
- Determine total line quality to customer’s facilities.
- Evaluate customers’ broadband needs and suggests additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Connect wires and cables to terminals, and attach/detach various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Use hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g. multi-meters, HST11) and a laptop.
- Read and interpret customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps blueprints, diagrams, etc. and performs specified work. Includes POTS, HSI, jack work, inside wiring, etc.
- Work with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Interface with customer throughout premise visit
Veterans, thank you for your service. If you have a moment, please click here to view a salute to your service and a few words about your welcome at CenturyLink
Technicians, for a quick snapshot of a day in the life of a CenturyLink Technician, please click here:
Attendance, conduct, and performance records will be considered in the selection process. The selection process for this position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement. Selection is dependent on completion and passage of all applicable employment testing and interview.
- At least six (6) months within the last five (5) years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five (5) years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of computer operating systems (i.e., MS 98SE, 2000, XP and above).
- Experience cabling various electronic components (e.g., modems, routers, TVs, stereo systems and home entertainment systems).
- Experience working with CAT 5 and COAX wiring.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality customer service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications.
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Willingness to promote CenturyLink and CenturyLink products
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the Company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- A valid State driver’s license
- At least twelve (12) months within the last five (5) years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- At least twelve (12) months of experience within the last five (5) years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Prior Customer Service experience.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Pole-climbing certification.
- Cisco Certifications.
- Microsoft Certifications
CenturyLink - 30+ days ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...