The fully qualified Broadband Technician installs, maintains/repairs and tests residential/small business broadband products such as; High Speed Internet (HSI), Networking, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition TV.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with computer operating systems to install and/or repair home and/or small business standard HSI or networking products.
- Analyze and troubleshoot technical problems or issues.
- Review and discuss service order requirements and equipment requests with customers.
- Determine total line quality to customer’s facilities.
- Evaluate customers’ broadband needs and suggest additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Connect wires and cables to terminals, and attach/detach various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Use hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g. multi-meters, HST11) and a laptop.
- Read and interpret customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps blueprints, diagrams, etc. and performs specified work. Includes POTS, HSI, jack work, inside wiring, etc.
- Work with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Interface with customer throughout premise visit.
- Employee will be held accountable for customer communication and interaction as well as quality and productivity standards.
Please take a moment to view this video about work at CenturyLink: https://vimeo.com/34623506
Other Job Requirements:
The selection process will be governed in accordance with the local collective bargaining agreement. The selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location)
- At least six (6) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of computer operating systems (i.e., MS 98SE, 2000, XP and above).
- Experience cabling various electronic components (e.g., modems, routers, TVs, stereo systems and home entertainment systems).
- Experience working with CAT 5 and COAX wiring.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality customer service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters,).
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- When working aloft, employee’s weight and tools combined may not exceed the 280-pound weight limit as specified by the manufacturer.
- A valid State driver’s license.
- At least twelve (12) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- At least twelve (12) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Prior Customer Service experience.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Pole-climbing certification.
- Cisco Certifications.
- Microsoft Certifications
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 5 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...