Posting Job Title: Broadcast Engineer, YNN Syracuse
Requisition #: 145899BR
Posting Location: Syracuse, NY, US
Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
The Broadcast Engineer maintains all technical facilities, equipment and software applications not overseen by the IT department, for YNN under the direction of the Operations Manager. This includes, but is not limited to: satellite, microwave, fiber optic and MPEG transport, control room switchers, routing, patching, familiarity of IT systems, networking, media workflows and facility HVAC, electrical and security systems. The Engineer ensures that these systems are optimally functioning, maintained, kept up to date and secured in a 24/7 News Network environment. The Engineer must interface closely with systems users to identify and correct problems.
This position requires travel to remote Newsrooms in Western and Eastern New York State on a regular basis with possible extended stays.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
-Maintains and repairs on-site and remote broadcast equipment: DSNG Live Trucks, Microwave Receive Sites, Satellite Dishes, Equipment Centers, Studios, Control Rooms, Newsrooms.
- Will be required to work regardless of inclement weather.
- Works with operations on remote field productions - setting up, breaking down and troubleshooting cameras, cables and switchers. Establishing and maintaining satellite, microwave, MPEG and/or other transmission links.
- Coordinates repair of equipment with outside vendors.
- Works with all users to determine technical needs and concerns.
- Documents and maintains equipment maintenance history database and generates status reports for both users and supervisor.
- Provides primary vendor interface for troubleshooting complex system issues.
- Resolves software problems beginning at the lowest level (user - tech - vendor).
- Evaluates, researches, and recommends equipment and software acquisitions for the channels and newsrooms.
- Installs and upgrades systems components and software as directed.
- Fabricates cables and small part modifications.
- Maintains equipment center and workshop, spare parts inventory, tools and storage areas.
- Ensures that disaster recovery methods are accurate and accessible (Back-ups.)
- Will troubleshoot equipment and recommend appropriate solutions including vendor repair, in house repair or equipment replacement.
- Will routinely review broadcast equipment, software, work stations and develop and carry out regular maintenance schedule that will reduce damage and loss due to everyday wear and tear.
- Works closely with management and peers to develop proficiency resolving engineering and IT issues.
- Quickly isolate and troubleshoot engineering and IT issues in a demanding work environment.
-Troubleshoot and repair electronics at the component level. Read, interpret and update station drawings, flow charts and cable run lists.
- Develop work around to keep systems running and multi-channel network on air.
- Take direction well and be able to work with vendor support over the phone to resolve issues.
- Flexible to work outside the normal hours as business requires, including a rotating on-call shift with availability 24/7.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
-Minimum four year degree in Broadcast Engineering, Communication or related field or the equivalent experience required.
- Formal electronics training or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years broadcast television or related field experience required. Engineering experience preferred.
-General understanding of CAD and systems documentation.
-Familiarity of TCP/IP/SNMP Network topologies, VLANS and Cisco switches and other IT infrastructure preferred.
-General understanding of Microsoft SQL database systems.
-Must have (or able to obtain) a New York driver's license and a clean driving record.
Only applicants who apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers will be considered.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment and is EOE M/F/V/D.
FCC Unit_TWC: NWNYC
Controlling Establishment ID: 00234 - Syracuse Erie Blvd
More on TWC:
Time Warner Cable provides generous benefits. Health care and retirement benefits are significant portions of the total compensation package at TWC, and we invest more in those benefits than most employers. In addition, we offer tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, competitive paid-time-off programs, work-life resources, and discounted pricing on TWC residential products and services for employees within our footprint. Our hope is that, by providing our employees with rich and flexible benefits, we can help them take care of the people who matter most – at work and at home.
Time Warner Cable is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...