Job Title: Budget Analyst
Job ID: 03922
Division : Controller
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Preferred candidate will have a degree in Accounting or Finance.
Experience with Hyperion Essbase is a plus.
Depending on qualifications, you could be considered for a Budget Analyst I, Budget Analyst II or a Budget Senior Analyst position.
This position provides intermediate budgeting, expense allocation and analysis, forecasting and financial reporting to the company. Works with all other divisions of the corporation to plan, analyze and report expenses and expense deviations to management. Participates as a team member in divisional and cross-divisional projects. Assists in the training and development of entry level staff.
- Financial Reporting (20%)
- Prepares and verifies quarterly and annual financial reports including the board of director slides, AFMIC and ASIC GAAP highlights, and corporate expenses.
- Designs, develops, and presents various ad hoc reports and presentations for division leadership, including measurements of profitability, productivity, and analysis of current and historical expenses.
- Participates in cross-functional teams and advises clients during reorganizations and business changes to align the divisional structure in a way that assures accurate allocation and reporting of expenses.
- Planning, Forecasting and Budget Analysis (20%)
- Ensures divisional adherence to corporate planning timetables and provides consistent communication to divisional leadership.
- Consults with client divisions to ensure consistent planning, estimating, and reporting of planned expenses throughout the organization.
- Assists with calculations of expense ratios for major lines and states.
- Prepares written analysis of planned expenses vs. forecasted expenses at the division and corporate levels.
- Works with Information Services and Business & Workplace Services to compile and analyze the annual capital budget.
- Expense Analysis and Variance Reporting (20%)
- Prepares quarterly and annual actual to planned expense deviation analysis for assigned divisions and corporate accounts at a more complex level.
- Reconciles key corporate-wide accounts to plan to determine underlying expense drivers to facilitate analysis and planning.
- Reviews, analyzes and interprets expense accounts to assure compliance with the administrative code. Advises cost center managers on proper recording of expenditures.
- Consulting / Team Building (20%)
- Develops advisory relationships with assigned divisions (clients.) Acts as the first point of contact for financial questions for client divisions. Uses this relationship to better understand client needs and proactively provide financial information.
- Presents financial information at client divisional meetings.
- Verifies that the reports prepared by other financial departments agree with the reports provided to executive management and regulatory agencies.
- Fosters a team environment within the Budget department, Controller division, and client divisions. Acts as a change agent to recommend improvements and enhance existing processes and systems.
- Financial Analysis (10%)
- Identifies, analyzes and reports the key drivers of expense ratio variances within states, lines of business, levels, and expense classifications on a quarterly and ad hoc basis.
- Develops and maintains financial modeling tools that calculate significant planned company expenses.
- Prepares ad hoc analysis and develops ratios and metrics to provide clients with operational and financial expense information.
- Expense Allocation (10%)
- Formats and prepares accounts to be used in processing the QOR.
- Maintains and updates allocation methodologies for QOR processing.
- Analyzes, explains and reports to management variances to plan and prior periods.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Decision Making
- Information Gathering
- Problem Solving
- Technical Expertise
- Basic knowledge and understanding of financial reporting, financial analysis, budget and forecasting techniques or internal controls.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing concepts related to accounting, accounting systems, budget, or tax.
- Demonstrated experience with spreadsheet utilization and development.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of accounting, accounting systems, budget, or tax concepts.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...