This position will particpate in budget development, budget execution, and budget management activities at ITS. Duties will include: the examination of budget requests, consultative/technical assistance in the determination of service costs and the setting of rates, review of budget legislation, preparation of budget certification entries, conducting routine reviews of both expenditures and receipts for assigned areas, identification of potential budget problems and proposing solutions to address any such issues, recommend and prepare budget revisions to address budget issues, provide ad-hoc reports as requested by management, review and analyze financial data and prepare recommendations to address the financial condition of assigned service areas, and provide clear and timely communication regarding ITS budget activities to service areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
This successful candidate will possess:
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Extensive knowledge of budget policies and procedure and the ability to interpret and apply laws and policies.
- Ability to review legislation to determine its impact on the agency and recommend the actions necessary to comply with new legislation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of ITS staff and respond to staff budgetary concerns.
- Ability to compile large amounts of data and use that data to prepare trend analysis and use the analysis to recommend operational changes.
- Pro-active approach to work, to develop appropriate areas for analysis, to identify problems before they form and to offer solutions
- Excellent numerical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, especially with regards to sensitive or confidential personnel or organizational matters.
- Excellent computer skills and experience using spreadsheet, charting, and other software tools, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to build, populate and maintain complex spreadsheets.
- Excellent mathematical skills and accuracy in pricing by segment cost and roll up costs. Understand rates, ratios, percentages, margins and related computations
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize facts and insights into concrete, actionable recommendations
- Ability to identify and track key business metrics to continually evaluate and refine pricing strategies
- Ability to work in a high-paced, fluid environment, providing accurate information frequently on short timelines;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, and projects;
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, or related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and experience. ITS has a Career Banded compensation plan which encourages and rewards competency development. Recruitment for the position will target the Advanced Level of the Budget Analyst Band. An additional year and a half of progressively related experience is required for each level above Contributing. Salary range for this position is $52,098 - $72,590 and will be commensurate with the applicant’s competencies, as well as budget, equity and market considerations. If no candidates are identified at the Advanced competency level, management may consider candidates at the Journey competency level. For purposes of State Promotional Priority, this vacancy posting will be treated as a salary grade Advanced 78 and Journey 76. Degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
To apply for this position, please click the APPLY link above.
To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for a qualifying credit. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a state application.
Persons eligible for veteran's preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.
**It is important that you include all of your relevant work experience and education and that you answer all questions associated on the application. The Office of Information Technology Services will not accept “See Resumes” or inserted text resumes in lieu of all work experience and education completed on the application. If multiple applications are submitted for an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the closing date at 5:00 p.m. will be accepted.**
Employment at ITS is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
ITS is an Equal Opportunity and Merit-Based Employee.
North Carolina Office of State Personnel - 8 months ago