We accept teaching applications continuously throughout the year and are particularly interested in teachers who have urban experience. Position Available: Budget Finance Specialist Department: Finance Work Hours: 40 hrs, 52 wks Application Deadline: 09/18/2013 SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs specialized budget and accounting duties for the Finance Department, reviews data, processes transactions and maintains records; provides customer services for MPS departments, and resolves questions on budgets, revenues and other financial transactions. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class.
Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following: ·Processes specialized budget and accounting transactions for Finance Department; performs duties within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies and quality standards; duties may vary according to job assignment. ·Performs specialized accounting functions, including processing accounts payable & receivable, processing purchase orders and invoices, grant fund accounting, journal entries and corrections, reconciling statements, monitoring budgets and expenditures, approving position on-line forms and requisitions, and balancing accounts.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines Associate's Degree in Accounting, Business or Public Administration, or related field; AND two years experience as an MPS Accounting Clerk; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources. Knowledge of: ·Accounting and budgeting principles and methods, including grant fund and special fund procedures. ·Applicable policies, procedures and regulations covering specific areas of assignment. ·Specialized MPS and state agency accounting software applications, including SAP and State of Minnesota Uniform Financial Accounting and Reporting Standards (UFARS).
- Serves as liaison for MPS schools and departments; provides technical support and approvals for budget, purchasing, and other financial issues; responds to requests for information, and researches files and records within the scope of authority; updates, retrieves and releases information according to procedures; refers matters requiring policy interpretation to supervisor for resolution. ·Reviews budgets for journal entries; verifies encumbrances, disbursements, and inter-departmental transfers; approves budget reallocations and journal entries. ·Conducts special research and analysis projects; summarizes data and generates reports; assists with development of budget reports and financial status reports. ·Maintains detailed accounting and bookkeeping records and filing systems; verifies data and enters into computer systems; codes documents, processes transactions, and updates accounts.
- Reviews source documents for compliance with rules and regulations; determines proper handling of accounting and technical transactions within designated limits; reviews and validates data. ·Checks documents for validity and accuracy of information; performs mathematical calculations; records, files and distributes related paperwork and documents; reports discrepancies. ·Maintains additional accounting and technical transaction databases as directed. ·Cross-trains in all budget and accounting duties; assists with training and cross-training of MPS staff.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment ·Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent's goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures. ·Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information. ·Accesses highly confidential documents relating to the bargaining process, and maintains strict confidentiality of document content and meeting discussions. ·Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis ·At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. SALARY: 40 hrs, 52 WeekMACA Schedule B $26.19 - $32.29/hr
- Principles of record keeping and records management. ·Personal computers utilizing standard and specialized software applications. Skill in: ·Maintaining accurate accounting records, and identifying and reconciling errors. ·Performing mathematical calculations with skill and accuracy.
- Entering numerical data into a computer system with speed and accuracy. ·Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers. ·Effective verbal and written communication. LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: A valid Minnesota State Driver's License may be required.
Education America Network
- 19 months ago - save job