Reporting to the Director of Budget & Planning, the Budget and Planning Analyst is responsible for assisting with data collection and analysis in relation to the College’s annual budget and multi-year capital plans. The Analyst provides a high level of customer service to financial administrators in developing department budgets, addressing budget inquiries and assisting in reporting. Working with a high degree of independence, the Analyst is responsible for assuring high quality information to support institutional decision making, budgeting and strategic planning.
Finance and Planning - Budget
Reports to Title
Director of Budget and Planning
Full or Part Time
Number Of Months
Position End Date (if temporary)
2013 -00034- AS
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
1. Prepare and review reports to support the development, implementation and monitoring of the College’s operating and capital budgets. The audiences for these reports include the Budget Director, senior administration of the College, departmental administrators, and the Board of Trustees. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
a. Prepare monthly budget monitoring reports for review by the Director and research variances through financial analysis and direct contact with individuals throughout the College
b. Generate and distribute electronic budget to actual variance reports to departmental administrators, and as appropriate, distribute detailed reports on salary expenditures to departmental managers
c. Send information to departments regarding the development of upcoming budgets; review departmental budget submissions for completeness, accuracy and conformance to established procedures, guidelines and organizational objectives; enter budget data into databases and generate reports for review; and communicate with departments to review or seek clarification on submissions
d. Prepare and analyze annual budget and quarterly variance reports for the Board of Trustees
2. Analyze external trends and data that influence the College’s financial planning, including but not limited to enrollment, tuition, financial aid, salary trends, benefits, energy costs, and debt service.
3. Approve the processing of budget transfers and fund transfers within authorized thresholds
4. Analyze salaries and wages, tracking changes through databases and excel spreadsheets to calculate salary recoveries and forecast expenditures
5. Maintain the position control budget in collaboration with Human Resources by reviewing, processing and maintaining logs of staffing changes
6. Maintain and update budget policies and procedure manual, budget guidelines and website information
7. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Budget & Planning.
Required Qualification Summary
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other related field, and a minimum of three (3) years of experience in finance, budgeting and reporting required. Prior work experience in higher education or the non-profit sector is preferred.
• Excellent computer skills, including the development of complex spreadsheets (Excel), use of relational databases (Access), and familiarity with accounting packages. Demonstrated ability to download and integrate data from various sources and combine them into other datasets using Excel pivots, formulas and functions is required. Experience with Datatel (Ellucian) Colleague and related reporting tools preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential.
• Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining accuracy in working with complex and detailed quantitative information.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines with limited supervision.
Preferred Qualification Summary
Physical Demands Summary
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
Open Until Filled
Barnard College - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard