Will perform the work of an inspector for the Building Inspection Division to assure compliance with the codes and ordinances adopted by the City of Odessa as they pertain to the Building Inspection Division. The inspection work is of average difficulty to insure compliance with codes, ordinances and State Laws related to work performed in the building, electrical, plumbing, fuel gas and mechanical and other related trades.
Must cross train in Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, other codes and city ordinances. Must obtain and maintain required licenses and certifications.
Special Notices to Applicants
It is preferred the applicant for this position has extensive knowledge of the electrical trade, electrical and other related codes and related ordinances adopted by the City of Odessa, State of Texas electrical licensing laws and related items. A State of Texas Master, Journeyman, or Residential Wiremen’s license based on the passing of a State mechanical exam is desired.
1. Knowledgeable of all codes, city ordinances, state laws and the process and procedures for the issue of permits and enforcement of codes and related City ordinances and state law.
2. Conducts independent on site field inspections in a timely manor for areas of code enforcement, city ordinances and state laws involving building, electrical, plumbing, fuel gas, and mechanical codes, related city ordinances and state law.
3. Inspects construction, alterations or repairs with project plans and specifications to insure compliance with the codes and zoning and related City ordinances.
4. Produces and files inspection documenting the results of each inspection and investigation reports in a timely fashion
5. With computer generated and written documents, must document and maintain records of inspections and inspection division related enforcement actions daily in a timely fashion. Advises property owners, contractors and other interested parties on matters concerning all the codes. Must demonstrate the ability to use a keyboard to enter information and operate a computer to enter and process inspections and information.
6. Performs investigations of violations of building, electrical, plumbing, fuel gas and mechanical codes and related City ordinances. Contacts responsible parties and advises of methods of compliance. Develop and process related materials and documentation for the issue of notices of violation and citations. Recommends prosecution of code violations and issues appropriate, authorized citations for related violations.
7. Must participate, advises and assist in training activities with the inspectors and inspection staff. Must cross train in duties performed by the inspection division for each trade and office duties.
8. Be knowledgeable in building codes and City ordinances applicable to the issuing permits and answering questions from home owners, contractors and other parties as required in the performance of assigned duties.
9. Must maintain inspection related licensees and certifications as required.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
City of Odessa, TX - 19 months ago