VERTEX is looking for a talented, entrepreneurial professional who welcomes challenge. The candidate will enjoy the challenge of working on multiple projects and working with junior and senior staff in a variety of construction, engineering and environmental capacities. More specific details are described below.
Specific Job Title: Building Envelope Engineer
- Direct forensic engineering services and failure investigations for building envelope issues
- Responsible for working with current staff to expand Vertex’s Building Envelope department
- Ability to develop business with new and existing clients; Willingness to provide presentations to potential clients on occasion
- Preparation of technical reports with photos, graphics and claim synopses
- Lead/provide support on Property Condition Assessments (PCAs)
- Litigation support services
- Share expertise through publishing and presenting, including content for Vertex website
- Actively participate at the national level on industry codes, standards and committees (i.e. ASTM)
- Follow Safety Protocols
- Represent VERTEX to clients in a professional manner
- Able to meet deadlines, both internally and externally driven
- Other project duties as assigned by senior staff
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with co-workers, clients and subcontractors
- Able to work with minimal oversight, but take direction effectively from managers
- Travel and/or field work may be required (valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required)
- Must be available for occasional overnight travel, able to climb ladders, and perform duties associated with building envelope evaluation, design, and construction administration services
- RCI’s Registered Waterproofing Consultant (RWC) certification OR Registered Exterior Wall Consultant (REWC) certification OR ability to sit for either/both of these exams a plus
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect in NY, NJ, or MA; NCARB certified with reciprocity for registration in multiple states a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Sciences, Architecture or Construction Management required
Knowledge & Skills
- Requires excellent technology, computer and document management proficiencies.
- Work in a consultant setting. Track your time and monitor activities against a budget.
- Participation in national standards committees is a plus (i.e. ASTM)
- Experience performing Property Condition Assessments is a plus
- Experience with construction defect litigation a must. Previously providing testimony a must.
- Experience directing / performing forensic investigations of roofing, exterior wall, and waterproofing failures, including performing water tests of exterior wall components
- Ability to direct the development of plans and specifications related to the building envelope
- Ability to serve as lead BE expert for large construction defect cases for Vertex’s new Building Envelope department; work with current staff to oversee / coordinate investigation and report writing efforts
- Minimum 5 years of design experience; includes design for new construction AND building envelope repair work
- 15-20+ years of building envelope design / investigation, variety of project types a must
- Must be able to perform complex tasks and handle multiple priorities, and have the ability to perform exceptionally under high stress conditions
- Proficiency or working knowledge of CAD a plus
- Effective communicator, verbal and written
- Efficient, well-organized and positive attitude when approached with challenges and realities of construction management and consulting.
- Proficient in computer operations and standard software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, Adobe)
- Carry construction tools and equipment (up to 30 pounds) onto job sites with regularity
- OSHA-10 or -30 certification required, training provided if necessary
- Walk job sites during inspections, sometimes on uneven terrain, and able to climb ladders
The Vertex Companies, LLC. - 30+ days ago