Boulder County's Land Use Department, Building Safety and Inspection Services is accepting applications for a Building Inspector position. The Building Inspector performs technical inspection duties in the enforcement of building codes and ordinances.
Examples of Duties:
1. Inspects buildings being constructed, repaired or remodeled for compliance with building codes and ordinance requirements.
2. Examines and reviews building construction plans to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances, or detect any discrepancy between plans and finished building.
3. Provides information to builders, contractors, engineers and other interested parties on building codes and ordinances.
4. Maintains familiarity with existing, revised and new applicable building codes and ordinances.
5. Makes recommendations to proper officials regarding appropriate codes and ordinances.
6. Conducts field inspections of soils, foundations, framing, plumbing, heating, life safety provisions, fire suppression systems, light, ventilation and sanitary provisions for compliance with appropriate codes.
7. Conducts necessary communications in changing plans for buildings under construction to comply with codes and ordinances.
8. Trains and gives general direction to other employees.
9. Performs related duties as required.
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience working in the building trades.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Considerable knowledge of modern building construction methods and practices, and appropriate building codes and ordinances. Ability to detect hazards and violations and recommend corrective action. Ability to understand plans, blueprints and specifications, and compare them with construction in progress. Ability to work effectively with other employees and the public.
Back and Upper Body (lifting)
Occasionally lifts moving tools and equipment up to 25 pounds.
Occasionally uses hands to handle or feel things, and reaches with arms.
Frequently stands, walks and sits. Frequently balances and climbs during building and construction inspections.
Performs physical tasks associated with field data collection at a variety of construction sites that require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving equipment and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Traverses constructions sites, i.e. walking on uneven terrain, cross fences, climb ladders, and operate a vehicle to field locations.
Requires the use of close and distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
From "Dictionary of Occupational Titles", U.S. Dept. of Labor:
Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time.
Veterans are encouraged to apply for Boulder County jobs that match their education and/or experience.