The purpose of this position is to ensure compliance with City building and maintenance codes for commercial and residential properties. This is accomplished by conducting field inspections and verifying compliance with codes. Other duties may include maintaining records, researching methods and codes, interacting with contractors and other departments, providing departmental support and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees. |
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
• Ensures compliance of building codes and ordinances by conducting field inspections of commercial and residential properties, reviewing building, electric and maintenance codes, determining whether codes are being met, assigning citations when appropriate, conducting regular follow-up inspections, helping resolve problems, issuing certificates of occupancy and performing final inspections.
• Interacts with citizens, contractors and other departments by explaining code requirements and corrections, coordinating actions with other employees and departments, verifying City policies and procedures for the department and reviewing code compliance with product manufacturers, building designers and engineers.
• Researches methods and codes by studying manufacturers’ literature, examining tests from code underwriters and laboratory testing agencies and reviewing plan documents and City codes for changes.
• Maintains records by entering information into the computer system, recording inspections, preparing inspector’s tickets, correcting inspection information and writing correction orders.
• Provides departmental support by submitting payroll time sheets, purchasing supplies and conducting safety meetings.
Texas Municipal League
- 2 years ago - save job