Full Time Regular
Town Hall, 2121 Cross Timbers Rd, Flower Mound TX 75028, Texas
Print Job Information |
Performs building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections for residential construction to ensure compliance with building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical codes; zoning ordinances; and sign regulations.
Examples of Duties:
1. Reviews residential building plans and specifications and performs on-site inspections to verify compliance with code requirements including: quality of materials and methods of construction for footings, foundations, excavations, wood framing, concrete work, steel erection, lathing, plastering, tile work, masonry, electrical installations, zoning requirements, sign regulations and other construction work.
2. Requires corrections be made when deficiencies exist and may assist builders and owners in determining how corrections are to be made to ensure conformance with regulations.
3. Keeps simple records of inspections made and inspection results.
4. Answers technical code questions and furnishes information to the public (citizens, builders, developers, architects and engineers) regarding the requirements of building codes, zoning and sign ordinances.
5. Assists with the issuance of permits for construction and determination of applicable permit fees.
6. Investigates complaints, issues court citations for violations, and attends court when violations are filed.
7. Interacts with citizens, builders, developers, and design professionals regarding inquiries, complaints and recommendations.
8. Suggests maintenance and upgrades of codes and ordinances to the Assistant Building Official as required.
9. Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety policies and procedures.
10. Informs supervisor of necessary work activities.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required. State of Texas Plumbing Inspector's License is required. Three or more years of general building contracting and construction or construction inspection work experience is required. A State of Texas master or journeyman's plumbing license or certification by the International Code Council as a plumbing or mechanical inspector is preferred. Must obtain one of the above certifications within one year of employment. A State of Texas Master or Journeyman's electrical license or certification by the International Code Council as a building or electrical inspector is preferred. Must have a valid Texas driver's license and driving record must be in compliance with Town policy.
Must have an extensive working knowledge of residential and commercial building construction, electrical, heating/air conditioning and plumbing systems. Must have a working knowledge of pertinent construction codes and ordinances, proper inspection methods, and legal procedures involving enforcement of building codes and ordinances. Must have good communicative skills, both oral and written to include spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Must be able to read and understand blue prints, codes and ordinances, and construction plans and specifications. To perform the essential functions of the job, must be able to climb ladders, kneel, stoop, bend, twist, crawl, see, talk, hear, read, write, walk, push, pull, lift and carry up to 50 lbs. of equipment and material; work indoors, underground, outdoors, in confined spaces, in trenches, on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and muddy terrain, and under constantly noisy conditions; work in adverse environmental conditions to inclement weather and hazardous conditions including mechanical, electrical, fume odor, dust/mist, chemical, solid waste substances and exposure to insects; follow oral and written directives; work well under pressure and stress; meet deadlines; deal effectively and efficiently, in a pleasant manner, with the general public, employees and with distraught and irate citizens. Must be able to work extensive hours after 5:00 pm, as well as weekend work.
Town of Flower Mound - 18 months ago