Directs and supervises the activities of workers engaged in custodial activities, furniture movers and grounds keeping activities, to include proper cleaning methods/ techniques, use and handling of chemicals and floor buffing and waxing equipment, proper grounds maintenance activities, herbicide/insecticide application, use of grounds machinery and light mechanical repairs to equipment. Plans, develops and implements new methods and procedures designed to improve operations. Develops and manages schedules and assignments, evaluates staff job performance and ensure functions are performed in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, codes, policies and procedures. Serves as a technical expert and may assist staff in performing custodial and grounds keeping duties.
This is a job classification within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification directs and supervises functions related to building cleaning, furniture moves and grounds maintenance. This classification supervises workers directly and through subordinate supervisors and lead staff. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and directs the activities of subordinate cleaning, movers and grounds keeping staff and sections.
- Monitors and directs needed improvements in quality, timelines and completion of subordinate sections services.
- Directs cleaning, movers and grounds keeping staff, interviews, hires, trains, directs, develops and evaluates employee performance. Counsels employee as necessary to improve performance. Disciplines and terminates employees as required.
- Reviews work orders to determine work priorities. Monitors execution of work orders. Analyzes work orders received and completed for trends. Adjusts work force as necessary to optimize timely completion of received work requests.
- Plans, develops and implements new methods and procedures designed to improve operations, minimize operating costs, and effect greater utilization of labor and materials.
- Requisitions tools, equipment and supplies required for operations. Provides operational controls for tools, equipment, supplies and vehicles. Processes invoices for payment.
- Confers with management and other County personnel to resolve cleaning, move and grounds problems and recommend measures to improve condition of County facilities and supporting equipment.
- Prepares inputs for department budget and monitors expenditure of funds in budget.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree AND six (6) years of increasingly responsible management of custodial and grounds keeping experience, including three (3) years of supervisory or management experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Standard practices, methods and skills in use and care of tools, equipment and materials of cleaning, furniture moves and grounds maintenance.
- Equipment and tools used in cleaning, furniture moves and grounds maintenance functions.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Polices, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations
- Planning, assigning, directing and coordinating a variety of functional specialties.
- Managing, motivating, developing and evaluating staff.
- Developing and implementing goals, objectives, procedures, work standards and management controls.
- Mowing, trimming, floor care and cleaning applications.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing grounds maintenance and custodial needs.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Manage, motivate and train staff.
- Plan, schedule and oversee cleaning and grounds keeping functions
- Read and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Evaluate conditions and recommend effective technical solutions.
- Safely and correctly apply cleaning, grounds keeping and equipment maintenance and repair techniques, and operate tools and equipment.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds/carry up to 25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some nights & weekends
Location: 1010 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Facilities Management
Criminal & Driving Background Check Required