Performs a variety of complex preventive maintenance tasks, repairs, and additions to County buildings, facilities and equipment. Work involves multiple skill areas, including carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing. Functions as a lead worker over building maintenance staff. May be assigned as full time skilled painter or carpenter.
This is the second in a series of two building maintenance-related job classifications within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification is distinguished by complex maintenance work requiring advanced proficiency in multiple skill areas and/or journey level skill as a painter or carpenter. This classification also performs lead duties. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes work tickets using a computerized system. Performs electrical duties, such as using a meter to trouble-shoot low voltage. Has ability to swap equipment to include starting and stopping electric motors, pumps, chillers, and boilers. Performs lighting duties, including changing ballasts and lights. Plumbing skills to include unclogging drain lines and repairs to all fixtures, as well as door adjustments, such as hinges, closer, and locks.
- Functions as a lead worker in the performance of building maintenance duties. Provides technical advice and assistance for assigned staff.
- Provides recommendations regarding replacement or upgrade of facilities and equipment.
- Performs a variety of preventive maintenance routines on equipment, building components and facilities.
- Performs periodic and routine walk through inspections of assigned facilities, identifies work requirements, submits requirements to service call and performs work assigned.
- Researches and estimates time and materials needed and records time and materials used. Requests for needed tools, equipment, supplies and materials to perform assigned tasks. Monitors expenditure of supplies and controls inventory of equipment and tools.
- Completes electrical, plumbing, masonry and carpentry repairs.
- Services and repairs heating and air conditioning system.
- Replaces broken glass. Installs/replaces light fixtures, and switches.
- Remodels building and facilities, including removal/replacement of wall systems, doors/frames, windows and built in furniture/counters.
- Prepares for painting. Paints and seals building surfaces and equipment.
- Repairs and maintains security control panels and video monitors and security cameras.
- May be required to disassemble/assemble and move furniture and equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible building maintenance experience, including preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, buildings and facilities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification or must be obtained within one (1) year of date of hire.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Jailer License must be obtained within one (1) year of employment.
HVAC, electrical, or plumbing experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles and practices of leading staff.
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Equipment and tools used in maintenance and repair functions.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Leading and advising others.
- Carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing maintenance and repair needs.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
- Proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Motivate, train, and lead others.
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Safely and correctly apply building and equipment maintenance and repair techniques and operate tools and equipment.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 100 pounds/carry up to 75 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents. Requires working at heights from ladders and scaffolds.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: Day shift with on call rotation
Location: 3614 Bill Price Road, Del Valle
Drug & Alcohol Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Our values guide the culture and shape the way we service our customers. They are at the core of who we are as an agency, what we believe...