This position provides strategic leadership and direction for the accurate billing and timely collection of tuition and fees inclusive of third party sponsors as well as collection, deposit and subsequent recording of all deposits for the university.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with approximately 6,200 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE / ADA /AA Employer.
1. The Bursar plans, schedules, and directs the work of the student accounts office.
2. Development, oversight and continual improvement of the business processes associated with the assessment of tuition and billing and collection of tuition and various fees assessed or charged within the student account system in compliance with federal, state, Board of Regents, and University policy.
3. The Bursar oversees and reconciles all deposits of funds and payments of tuition, and miscellaneous charges, and will serve as the functional lead for Banner (the accounts receivable system).
4. Responsibility for the collection and accurate recording of cash and cash equivalents and safeguarding the financial assets of the university.
5. Responsible for the creation and maintenance of accounting records required for billing and collection as well as the coordination of interfaces and in translation between the student systems and the general ledger.
6. Provide training and effective communication to campus community on business processes and changes to such processes including the distribution of timely information, documenting business processes, and updating manual and website with pertinent and timely information.
7. Maintain effective collaborative working relationships with related organizations across campus which impact office operations, (Registrar, Financial Aid, Admissions, College Deans, etc)
8. Serves as department head in the absence of the Controller.
9. Leads Business Office special projects and initiatives.
10. Completes ad hoc reports as requested by the Board of Regents or university leadership.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Strong oral and written communication skills with expertise in developing and empowering staff to provide high quality customer service are required.Previous experience with not-for-profit accounting issues in an academic setting
2. Ability to make decisions regarding development of time lines for semester calendars for billing and refunds that comply with BOR policy and Federal guidelines.
3. Ability to make decision surrounding the timeliness of the ‘drawdown’ of federal funds to ensure the university has the appropriate cash to cover the disbursement to students.
4. Ability to make determinations regarding daily staffing needs, ie. time off
5. Ability to make hiring and disciplinary actions regarding employees
6. Recommends and advises the Controller of needed changes to the Internal Controls to ensure the ongoing safeguard of the University’s assets.
7. Monitors the cash management practices to ensure strong internal controls in the Fiscal Affairs Office and throughout the University community.
8. Assists in the preparation of financial reports and other related reports required by University departments, the Board of Regents and other external agencies.
9. Ability to meet and serve students, staff and faculty tactfully and effectively, and maintain effective working relations with other employees.
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field, supplemented by experience in accounting, banking or accounts receivable and collections is required. A Masters degree is preferred. A minimum of five (5) years progressive experience in a billing and collections environment is required. Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in the area of cash collections or money management at the supervisory level is required.
Special Instructions for Applicants
In addition to the required documents which must be uploaded, please note the following additional information:
Please note: A minimum of three professional references with names, phone numbers and address information must be provided in the reference section of the application.