This is semi-skilled work involving the maintenance of buses or related components. Work is supervised, monitored, assisted, and sometimes inspected by a higher-level mechanic or a supervisor.
There are two vacancies: (1) Para-transit division and (2) Bus division
1st Shift - start time varies (4-7 a.m.) with 40 hours/week
2nd Shift - start time varies (2-5 p.m.) with 40 hours/week
Examples of Work Performed:
· Operates fuel pumps, checks fluids, and checks air in tires.
· Removes and replaces points, plugs, distributor caps, and common component parts.
· Lubricates U-joints and chassis.
· Services transmission.
· Removes and replaces mufflers, tailpipes and other exhaust components.
· Removes, reconditions, replaces, and adjusts brakes.
· Maintains written record of work performed.
· Performs the duties of Bus Mechanic’s Helper or Bus Utility Worker when needed.
· Makes unassisted trade outs and/or on-street minor repairs in order to return bus to garage or back into service
· Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
· The examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
· Knowledge of all tools and equipment used in the trade and the ability to use these tools to perform repair work on vehicles/equipment
· Working knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
· Ability to read, interpret and apply information contained in technical repair manuals
· Ability toprovide own hand tools as listed in maintenance plan and storage cabinet
· May require the ability to climb onto equipment and make repairs as much as 25' in height
· Ability to lift, bend, and twist as necessary to remove, repair, recondition orreplace body, interior, suspension and drive train parts and glass
· Ability to tolerate exposure to fluids and solvents usedin vehicle repair work
· Ability to perform continuous manual and physical labor while standing on cement floor
· Ability to lift and carry bulky objects weighing up to 50 pounds (heavier objects with the assistance of another person) for distances up to 100 feet.
· Ability to exert up to 100 pounds of pressure using tools that tighten, loosen or cut
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates and employees of other Departments
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing
· Possession of and ability to maintaina valid Kansas Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements
· An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
One year of experience performing work related to the maintenance and repair of vehicular equipment. Must also have a minimum of five years of unrestricted licensed driving experience. At least one ASE certification is preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.
City of Wichita - 14 months ago