Provides moderately complex to complex technical consulting and support services for defining, developing and improving functional or business processes to meet user and organizational needs. Works with departmental management and staff to define problems and management requirements. Serves as a senior liaison between department users and the Information Technology organization in order to provide technical solutions to meet user needs. Possesses expertise in supporting complex department applications and functions. Conducts advanced process redesign and compiles documentation, as required for complex applications. Translates high level organization requirements into functional Information Technology specifications and manages changes to such specifications.
This is the fourth in a series of four business analyst-related job classifications within the Information Technology job family. Provides moderately complex to complex technical consulting and support services for defining, developing and improving functional or business processes to meet user and organizational needs. The Business Analyst III performs complex Information Technology functions and may perform computer hardware and software installation, network administration and database management within a department. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides moderately complex to complex technical consulting and support services for defining, developing and improving functional or business processes to meet user and organizational needs. Works with departmental management and staff to define problems and management requirements.
- Solicits and interprets client requests, documents client needs and automated procedures and works with users to improve business processes. Proposes alternatives appropriate within the broader context of County Information Technology and other operations and technology.
- Resolves day-to-day technology needs of the department with a focus on the analysis of processes, dissecting problems and suggesting solutions. Reviews business processes, analyzes existing procedures and systems and makes recommendations for improvements. Develops process performance measures and assists in planning the transition to a new process.
- Participates in continuous review and update to ensure that processes meet changing departmental and organizational conditions. Identifies processes for improvement, documents existing processes, and identifies and analyzes gaps between current processes and the desired state.
- Interfaces and collaborates with other Information Technology staff in the design of new programs, processes, projects and software. Conducts analysis, design, programming, validation, testing, training and maintenance. Assists with application testing and product defect tracking. Interfaces with software project team members to assist in all aspects of requirements and testing activities. Participates in the coordination and monitoring of software development activities. May review programs written by others. Establishes test procedures and tests and debugs programs.
- Serves as a liaison with Information Technology System (ITS) in network administration within a user department. May possess primary responsibility for administration and troubleshooting of a stand-alone departmental network.
- May assist in or install computer hardware, software and peripheral devices, as required. Troubleshoots problems encountered by department users, performs advanced diagnostics and provides limited user training. Coordinates technical support work provided by ITS. Maintains inventory of department hardware and software.
- Assists in evaluating, acquiring and implementing vendor hardware and software for user department. Collaborates with users, researches product information, assesses available technology, makes recommendations and assists with the purchasing process.
- Creates and/or develops enhancements needed for complex departmental databases. Maintains production, development and test database systems to meet user needs and provides systems support and security for self-contained departmental databases.
- Uses reporting tools to develop moderately complex to complex reports which are needed for department business processes and statistical reports which are used by management to help them evaluate department productivity and workload.
- Researches departmental data and recommends effective use of business information. Researches, documents and catalogues business and information system processes.
- Assists in or configures document management systems.
- Participates in or leads many cross-functional project teams involving various levels of internal and external participants. Facilitates team building to identify and resolve system or process problems.
- May lead or supervise work of lower level Information Technology staff.
- May develop central automated systems to support the budget or other process.
- May develop and maintain department specific internet or intranet websites.
- Provides end-user and system support for specified department applications and functions.
- Produces periodic status and operational reports for management review.
- Assists with training efforts of systems implementation, including documentation, instruction and hands-on-training of others.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or a directly related field AND five (5) years of relevant work experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Experience in building highly complex SQL queries & procedures
Advanced experience in data warehouse development
Experience in data transformation, ETL
Advanced experience in report development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Information technology hardware, software and peripherals as related to assigned function.
- Existing automated business applications and their relationships to each other and interfaces with other automated systems.
- Software engineering and the software development lifecycle.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Understanding technical problems and solutions in relation to current, as well as future, business environment.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Training users on computer applications.
- Translating moderately complex concepts for peers and customers.
- Network administration and maintenance.
- Installing, maintaining and troubleshooting of hardware, software and peripherals.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations and communicating technical issues in non-technical language.
- Identify and analyze end-user problems and develop practical technological solutions.
- Lead, supervise and/or work independently and efficiently and as part of a team.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Research, compile, analyze, interpret and prepare a variety of memorandums or reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-40 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to exposure to variations in extreme heat, cold, mechanical, fume/odor, and dust/mites.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some holidays, nights & weekends
Location: 700 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Information Technology Services
Criminal & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 19 months ago