Job Description *
The Business Analyst position is a very critical position in the Internet Services Development area. They are instrumental for Supporting all of our Michaels.com systems and new initiatives in the areas of Requirements Analysis, Test Development, Implementation and Support. It is a necessity for ensuring the customers requirements are met in the design, the development and implementation of requested software changes. They will do this by interacting with the customers on a constant basis and by thoroughly testing the applications from design through development. This will reduce the amount of time needed to deployment and will reduce the amount of rework to fix problems after they have surfaced in production. They will support 2013 Michaels.com initiatives including fixes and enhancements.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Work Direction & Leadership
- Takes initiative to conduct analysis activities and coordinates with other team members in determining optimum design and resolving issues.
- Responsible for adherence to IS standards and procedures.
- Occasionally provides guidance to less experienced business analysts on assignments; checks work of less experienced business analysts.
- Responsible for maintaining an effective level of communication with project management.
- Project Planning
- Under general supervision, gathers and analyzes business information for analyzing requirements for new systems and changes to existing systems, and resolving problems and questions.
- Interacts with the user area directly to define and develop a proposal to address business requirements.
- Continually monitors progress and reports variance from plan to management team.
- Directs development efforts of 3rd party and offshore development efforts related to fixes and enhancements.
Analysis & Design
- Prepares, with some assistance from the systems analyst, external applications documentation.
- Develops system approaches and alternate solutions; collaborates with other team members in selection of optimum solution.
- Prepares detailed specifications from which system designs are created. Schedules and conducts business user reviews and project team reviews.
- Schedules, directs and participates in analysis and testing activities; evaluates alternate approaches.
- Testing & Implementation
- Develops test cases for system outputs.
- Conducts testing of system outputs.
- Provides guidance to less experienced project team members on analysis, testing and other system related tasks.
- Participates in development of overall system test plans, also assists during user acceptance testing.
- Partcipates and supports the Michaels IS Change Management Process for the appropriately assigned projects.
- Systems & Operation Support
- For assigned production systems, assures that incidents are resolved on a timely basis, and assists IS Operations to meet production service levels and schedules.
- Recommends and develops internal project team guidelines and processes.
3 to 5 years of experience in Development and Analysis, Test Planning and Execution, Software Analysis and Customer Relations.
Experience using black box test tools and version control tools.
Experience leading discussions related to requirements, implementations and correction of errors.
Experience with all types of requirements tools, test tools (including white and black box) and version management tools is a plus.
Bachelor of Science
Working knowledge of UNIX, SQL (Oracle) and java script or other scripting languages.
Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US and...