Reports to Group Manager within Business Application Services (BAS). Responsible for identifying, evaluating, analyzing, and recommending changes in support of assigned applications / systems, including ongoing production maintenance and troubleshooting. Supports the planning, design, development, build and/or configuration of supported applications / systems; leads and/or coordinates conversions, application / system testing and documentation of system procedures; participates and provides input in training design and development and assists in training execution related to assigned projects; provides go-live support, and serves as primary point of contact for on-going production maintenance/support and troubleshooting. Participates in on-call/after hours support schedule as defined within the Group. Serves as Team Leader or Project Manager for medium to large sized projects that are owned by Business Application Services.
Implementation: Responsibility for evaluating project requests associated with field of expertise and/or systems supported, conducting current state assessments, requirements gathering and definition, future state design and application build activities. Responsible for leading implementation teams in planning, design, development, testing (unit, application and integrated), and deployment of projects, as well as contributing to development of associated training curriculum/program, post implementation documentation and production support services. Ensure systems design supports corporate policies and federal legislation, where applicable. Work with customer departments to ensure solutions to complex business issues are an appropriate fit organization-wide.
Project Management: Prepare detailed project plans. Lead Application Team in adhering to project schedules and timelines and completing projects on time and within budget. Identify and escalate issues to appropriate sponsor group, steering committee or other governing body to ensure successful implementation (on time, on budget and within scope). Responsible for facilitating change request process in relation to assigned projects. Prepare supporting documentation and present initial project requests and change requests to appropriate Change Advisory Subgroup(s). Provide weekly status updates on assigned projects. Work with Group Manager to coordinate necessary support with Project Management Office (PMO) as needed.
Maintenance: Support and Troubleshooting: Monitor, acknowledge and resolve heat tickets as assigned. Coordinate software and hardware patches, service packs, and version upgrades with customer departments and System Administrator(s). Develop and maintain documentation for system procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Server & System Administration skills
• Hardware installation and repair skills
• Knowledge of OSI network protocol design
• Knowledge of analysis tools necessary to support the system administration and analysis
• Experience using and writing technical documentation (Visio)
• High level vendor certifications (i.e. Microsoft MSCE)
- Ensuring the integrity, integration and stability of production systems.
- On call support (pager required).
- Coordinating with System Administrator and operational support personnel as needed (DBAs, Integration Analysts, Network Analysts, etc.) for application/system patches, updates and upgrades.
- Regular monitoring of vendor sites, attendance at vendor conferences and user group meetings to stay current with new application functionality and enhancements.
- Routine communication with department directors, managers, system managers and end-users regarding application/system issues, status of projects, and resolutions to troubleshooting problems.
- Developing and revising project plans for assigned projects and associated project management responsibilities including creating and maintaining projects in PPM, logging project time in PPM, and providing regular status updates.
- Assume leadership role in providing guidance and direction for the design and implementation of applications / systems.
- Facilitate and document current state assessments and future state design activities in support of assigned projects.
- Completing testing cycles (unit, functional and integration testing); Includes coordinating with departmental super-users and obtaining customer signoff.
- Supporting Learning Systems Group (LSG) in design, development and execution of end-user training.
- Troubleshooting and issues tracking for systems.
- Coordinating and executing software and hardware upgrades.
- Mentoring of other System Analysts and providing guidance with more complex and difficult assignments.
- Formulating system scope and objectives to develop or modify complex system designs.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required. Clearly communicate with any staff member regarding a variety of issues related to troubleshooting, project management, ongoing production maintenance, or implementation activities. Produce clear, concise documentation and contribute to training materials.
- Working closely with IT resources during upgrades and issue resolutions.
- Troubleshoot application, process and technical issues. Identify required resources and coordinate all efforts until issue is resolved. Complete documentation as needed.
- Coordinate and complete tasks during unplanned downtimes including system maintenance.
- Support training of IS staff and end-users as needed.
- Direct and coordinate communication, including notification to application teams and departmental super-users and key stakeholders of scheduled and unscheduled downtimes, vendor communication, and staff communication.
- Daily communication with key business process owners and departmental system support staff.
- Explaining technical and software concepts to non-IS staff.
- Stay current with new application functionality and enhancements.
- Consult vendor support sites, discussion forums, and other sources to identify leading practices for problem resolution.
- Utilize vendor support site to log issues for assistance in resolution; Coordinate with Group Manger and System.
- Administrators and customer departments to implement recommended solutions.
•2-3 year’s experience in Application and System Administration (Installation, Upgrades and Patching)
•Knowledge of Windows Servers, SQL Server, Oracle
•Understanding of Change Management Life Cycle Principles
•System Support and Trouble Analysis skills (root cause analysis, alarm management platforms, troubleshooting, etc)
Bachelor's degree or equivalent 4-7 years direct work related experience.
Specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to hear and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner on the phone and in person; and the demonstrated use of good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with peers, management, hospital staff, vendors and other customers.
- Effective organization skills and attention to detail; effective follow-through, and commitment to excellence.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Change management skills.
- Ability to work off-hours when required.
- Effective project management skills.
- Ability to be a team lead for a project.
- Ability to analyze user problems, determine and recommend optimum resolution based on system capabilities and user’s needs.
- Ability to understand and document business processes.
- Ability to use win-win approach to resolve controversy; stays objective and fair when dealing with sensitive situations; maintains constructive working relationships despite disagreement.
- Design, develop and manage an implementation approach through use of standard tools such as work plans, change and issues management tools, and HP Quality Center testing tool.
- Strong analytical and multi-tasking skills.
- Experience participating in system installation projects including design, build, testing and conversion
- System integration knowledge.
- Knowledge of SQL databases, database queries, client/server architecture, web-based applications, citrix servers, operating systems, programming, Windows servers, SAN storage.
- Ability to troubleshoot and document application and system issues.
- Research system change requests.
- Develop, coordinate and implement system changes and upgrades including software upgrades, hardware upgrades and system interfaces to ensure that information needs are met.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint), Visio and Project application knowledge.
Children's Medical Center of Dallas - 16 months ago
Children's Medical Center is private, not-for-profit, and is the seventh largest pediatric healthcare provider in the nation. As the only...