Next Street: Where teamwork and entrepreneurship meet
What do you want your next job to accomplish? Next Street was founded in 2005 on an idea: to equip urban business owners and nonprofit leaders with the same level of talent that Wall Street, Madison Avenue, and the elite management consultancies provide to Fortune 500 CEOs. Our clients are successful organizations with revenue of $5 million to $100 million. We connect the dots at every level and in multiple industries to create a network that sustains small business growth and wealth creation in America’s inner cities. We deliver game-changing impact to our “urban blue chip” clients, getting them to the next level and unleashing the power of enterprise to create jobs in the communities that need them most. We look for people who combine significant experience in their field at large organizations with a passion for building small companies in urban markets: people who love cities, love business, and thrive on challenge.
Next Street recently launched a strategic alliance with the Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC), America’s leading think-tank on the urban economy. By co-locating together, Next Street and ICIC are better equipped to advance their own missions and drive economic prosperity in the inner city.
No matter the position, you will work with talented, committed professionals in finance, strategic business planning, talent management, recruiting, and marketing. This unique integrated service model gives us the ability to finance and implement the growth solutions we propose. Every member of our team will tell you that this is enormously satisfying work.
We are looking for a Business Development Associate for our Boston office to work with members of Business Development, as well as practice groups, to build networks of clients and partners, while identifying opportunities for expanding client relationships among current practice teams. Ideal candidates for this role will be strong listeners, who can identify and hone in on the specific needs of clients. In addition to strong relationship-building skills, candidates should have at least three-to-five years of experience, preferably in the professional services sector.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development and execution of department plans and business development activities.
- Identify business development opportunities and collaborate in the development of strategic approaches for those prospects.
- Build referral network of key clients and partners.
- Monitor trends in the practices and industries supported.
- Collaborate with business development manager to identify opportunities for expanding client relationships among practice groups.
- Assist business development manager with opportunities arising in BD Associate’s designated departments and industries, including providing material for proposal requests.
- Create routine statements of qualifications and collateral requests for consultants in the BD Associate’s departments/industries.
- Assist with editing Requests for Proposal (RFPs) and competitive business opportunities.
- Collaborate with business development, marketing and consultants on the development of standardized marketing materials for designated departments/industry teams, including descriptions for web and proposals, handouts, brochures, newsletters and presentations.
- Facilitate the development of communications (listservs and client alerts) for departments/industries.
- Work with manager to evaluate events and speaking in opportunities in support of practice groups / industries.
- Collaborate with consultants to develop topics and programs.
In addition to a passion for the work we do, candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree required, plus 3-5 years of business development experience.
- Experience in business development at professional services firm preferred.
- Experience in the food, manufacturing, or health care sectors preferred, and / or experience working with small businesses.
- Strong listener who can identify and hone in on specific needs of clients.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills, including follow through and follow up.
- Solid attention to detail ensuring a quality product.
- Excellent time management, job management and multi-tasking skills.
- Proven ability to build relationships with a wide range of people.
- Interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills to interact effectively with a diverse group.
- Ability to analyze situations and make decisions quickly and effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to understand the “big picture,” determine role within it and offer suggestions/recommendations on how to achieve goals.
- Strong knowledge of relevant existing and new technology.
- Willingness to travel when needed
- Ability to manage multiple projects and keep them moving on track.
Why Next Street?
Next Street is the right company for you if you want to work at the intersection of doing well and doing good in an environment that is fast-paced and intense with a commitment to doing what is right for our clients. You will have direct contact with our clients and the opportunity to contribute to their growth. We are a meritocracy, and career progress is determined by your contribution to our clients and Next Street as a whole.
- A demonstrated capacity for teamwork as well as a flair for entrepreneurial innovation
- Ability to think beyond the task at hand and take initiative
- Willingness to work beyond conventional hours and locations, as our clients do
- Comfort with a “flat,” multi-disciplinary structure without the insulation of business “silos”
- Willingness to challenge and be challenged, regardless of one’s position in the organization
- The maturity to work productively inside a client organization as well as our own
What we provide to our clients is unavailable to small business owners in any marketplace:
This is Next Street: a merchant bank for the urban enterprise.
- A breadth and depth of relevant experience which transcends their own
- The ability to adapt and solve for almost any challenge that confronts them
- Connections to institutions that can help them get hard things done
- Objective counsel from an outsider—with an inside knowledge of their company
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
Next Street Financial - 9 months ago