Business Development Intern
New York City
Unique opportunity for a self-starting, entrepreneurial business development professional
Kelton is a rapidly growing, boutique research, insights, and marketing strategy firm looking for a talented and experienced Business Development Intern. Our clients offer us incredible diversity of subject matter; our key clients include Pfizer, Target, Bloomingdale’s, the University of California, Best Buy, Domino’s, and many others. The perfect candidate is bright, passionate and a consummate professional. Our work environment complements and rewards self-directed, flexible team players that have strong interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and are excited about the opportunity to support potential clients and project teams in translating challenges and questions into opportunities for innovation.
We’re seeking a Business Development Intern to work closely with our senior leadership team. The Intern's primary role will be to assist Kelton's Vice President of Business Development with his business development efforts. The ideal candidate has exemplary business acumen, client empathy, and is excited to learn, grow, and enjoy building relationships.
There are two main components to this role:
Researching prospects and updating Salesforce.com with potential leads. Thinking of innovative ways to grab prospects attention. Salesforce.com experience would b helpful, but not necessary. Familiarity with Excel is a must.
Proposal development. Past success taking input from a team, constructing/writing proposals in PowerPoint and Word, and ensuring that a final product reflects precisely what potential clients are asking for is vital. The Intern will also schedule and arrange client pitches and meeting, prepare pitch materials, and support other ongoing marketing efforts.
The Intern will play a key role in:
• Owning maintenance of Kelton's client database and executing business development campaigns to target audiences
• Driving communications with potential clients to qualify leads and build alignment around a mutually valuable focus and scope for collaboration
• Producing well-coordinated and compelling client proposals, presentations, and meetings
• Maintaining and sharing updates on the pipeline of potential projects with the research and operational teams
• Creating a portfolio of stories and assets that showcase Kelton's value propositions in relation to different markets, industries, and challenges
Specific Skill Set:
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Extremely strong PowerPoint and Excel skills and comfort with the Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with conducting research (via data gathering and conversation) and synthesizing this data into meaningful and relevant internal and client communications
• The ability to multi-task, work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• A focus on and attention to detail
• Comfort with developing connections with people inside and outside of an organization
• Strong presentation skills
• Exposure to and knowledge of online marketing resources, including social media strategies and campaigns
• Experience with InDesign and Salesforce are both a plus
This is a “no-drama, no-diva”, informal but extremely hard working environment where teams are tight and really help each other – you can expect the same working here.
To be considered for this position, please send your WORD or PDF resume, cover letter, and work examples (we’d prefer non-confidential examples of relevant work in PowerPoint and/or Word) via email to
with “Business Development Intern” in the subject line. Resumes submitted without a customized cover letter will not be considered.