The Government Business Development Manager ( BDM ) is an individual contributor responsible for growing ESI revenues by selling to state/local government entities and higher education. This is a field sales position with direct reporting responsibility to a Government Markets Sales Leader.
The BDM is responsible for an annual revenue quota to be achieved through sales to new prospects and existing ESI customers within an assigned government markets sales territory. Teaming with additional ESI staff to ensure flawless execution during the fulfillment process is required.
The BDM is responsible for a specific territory. Complete territory management requires research, planning, analysis, cold calling, lead qualification, sales cycle management, following through on the development of targeted accounts, and recommending an overall ESI solution to address individual client requirements in a consultative fashion.
- Develop an annual business plan to meet or exceed assigned goals for existing and new business accounts that clearly links the territory revenue commitment to forecasted revenue opportunities.
- Design customer specific, value-based solutions to ensure that sales objectives for new revenue are attained.
- Develop comprehensive tactics and strategies to maintain a high value prospecting pipeline that includes minimum quantities of regular face-to-face client meetings, proposals and client presentations.
- Maintain current industry association memberships and trade show participation.
- Execute the business plan and track performance of successfully closed leads and opportunities within ESI’s standard reporting tools.
- Conduct fact finding research (through business periodicals and web sites) to understand each prospect’s business needs that align to ESI solutions before offering any ESI services.
- Act on all sales lead referrals from Inside Sales, instructor feedback/evaluations, and Marketing within 24 hours of receipt, and update the lead status within the approved tracking system.
- Build inter-departmental teams to broaden ESI positioning with key clients early in the sales cycle.
- Influence the evaluation criteria to ensure successful bids then respond to requests for proposals in a timely and professional manner.
- Work collaboratively with the Engagement Management Team and the customer support teams to continuously improve customer satisfaction and uncover new business opportunities.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of ESI’s market positioning, messaging and strategy.
- Build industry association relationships with strategic partners and other key contacts, as appropriate.
- Provide pertinent information about key account, territory and industry changes to the leadership team, focusing on industry opportunities.
Maintain awareness and status of state legislation that directly influences the budgetary process relevant to current and potential client opportunities.
- Create and maintain visibility and high-level relationships through participation in State/Local industry events such as NASCIO, NASPO, and AASHTO.
- Participate and contribute to internal State/Local synergy meetings that would help identify trends, best practices, and opportunities.
- Create and maintain local strategic alliances that could enhance visibility and facilitate access to state agencies.
- Establish and maintain contractual vehicles that will enable access to ESI solutions and services.
- Identify and communicate to Marketing events and opportunities to brand and strategically position ESI with local public entities.
- Demonstrated ability to sell intangible solutions in a professional manner.
- Executive selling skills proven through experience selling to senior executives in government agencies.
- Successful completion of formal sales training programs
- Excellent working knowledge of general administrative tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Proficient with client relationship management tools; specifically Salesforce.com
- Established business relationships with high-level agency contacts a plus, preferably in Information Technology, Transportation, and/or Acquisition.
- Established network of local contractors that have existing affiliations with State agencies through contracting vehicles.
- Proven experience working with State legislative processes is desired, but not required.
- Familiarity with the organizational structure of all State-level agencies.
- A minimum of 2 consecutive years, within the past 3 years, of a proven track record with direct sales to State-level agencies preferably in the training, consulting, or professional services industries.
- Undergraduate degree
ESI International - 11 months ago