Briefly state your job's overall purpose in one or two sentences, highlighting the general function or duty for which your position is responsible.
The purpose of this position is to develop and lead a joint business plan for the assigned categories and classes to hit annual sales, and margin goals while growing the overall category and share of market for Target and Heinz. The incumbent will work in a highly collaborative manner with Category Development, Marketing, Cateman/Insights, Supply Chain, Finance, Merchandise Planning, Grocery Team and other cross functional areas in HNA and Target.
- Develop and execute a strategic joint business plan to improve margin and grow sales at Heinz and Target
- Lead the implementation of Category Management best practices for Heinz Brands and the Category by securing internal team resources and communicate to Heinz Category Management/Insight Team Target's strategy and direction.
- Effectively implement price changes and monitor pricing to insure that it is in line with category / brand objectives and comp shop pricing model
- Drive Target specific concepts, initiatives, products, and packaging needs within the Category Development and Marketing Teams.
- Be a Target and Heinz Zealot to maximize ROI both internally and externally
- Maintain optimal retail merchandising by providing thoughtful insight and recommendations on incremental adds, items to replace, or grow what we own by expanding store counts.
- Communicate retail priorities for monthly audits to Target Retail Team Captain
- Achieve speed to shelf so Target is fast to market for product innovation and newness in the category.
- Communication frequently and consistently with Heinz internal stakeholders the annual Transition and Revision schedule at Target by Category
- Maximize on-strategy promotional opportunities with account through planning and execution of business plan-related and customized programs; resolve promotion related deductions and forecast promotional demand; review promotion performance results and plans modifications to deliver optimal objectives.
- Develop and execute category reviews and competitive assortment initiatives by store format.
- Develop strong business relationships with key individuals throughout Target including the Merchants, Merchandise Planning, Vendor Operations, Negotiations, Finance, DFD, and Marketing if needed
- Manage trade investment funds to ensure that appropriate incremental volume results from spending.
- Seek out category management information and develop relationships with AC Nielsen Advanced analytics support personnel, Kroger Insight Team, and Cateman/Insights Group.
- Connect with Target Cateman on a regular basis for overall grocery trends, wins, and opportunities for Heinz vs the competitive set
- Trend shop/Retail Visits to inspect and gather new ideas to win for Target and Heinz
- Lead the monthly standing JBP appointments at Target for the assigned categories. Involve cross-functional partners depending on objective/agenda item.
- Captain and lead the work for the Quarterly Department JBP for all the Merchants, Supply Planning, and Marketing and Finance when applicable.
- BS / BA degree minimum; MBA Preferred
- Process change agent ' Project Management a plus
- Exceptional strong organization and planning skills
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines, accept constant change in developing business model, and give direction to cross functional team while delegating to drive the business
- Ability to build strong relationships to get support for initiatives while helping others succeed
- Demonstration of doing more than required for job set
- Unquenchable thirst to learn and win everyday
- Complete understanding of Retail and merchandising
- Complete understanding of the policies, procedures and department functions within Heinz North America.
- Internal HNA work experience preferred
- Proven track record of success in Retail grocery account management and category management either within Heinz, broker, or another manufacturer.
- Understanding of Category Management and resources available from AC Nielsen
- The ability to demonstrate a higher level of thinking that embraces:
- Strategic selling skills
- Decision making based on the overall good of the company
- Sharing of key concepts to influence the broader sales organization
- Execute with integrity and fairness
- Ability to use analytical tools and techniques to utilize customer and market data to draw effective plans and conclusions.
- Computer proficiency (Word, advanced Excel, advanced PowerPoint, AC Nielsen and Target POL & IR)
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills to influence key customer contacts as well as internal support
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
H.J. Heinz Company - 18 months ago