School/Unit Harvard Business School Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Boston Job Function Library Time Status Full-time Schedule Department Knowledge and Library Services Salary Grade 057 Union 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Duties & Responsibilities
The incumbent of this position is a key member of the team that oversees the collections and information resources of Baker Library. Responsible for implementing the collection development policy, including vendor negotiations, preparation of budget forecasts, and license review and acquisition of special data sets and other research materials for HBS faculty members and doctoral students.
Reports to the Manager of Business Information Resources and works closely with HBS faculty and doctoral students and the KLS Information Research Specialists to provide information resources that support research, teaching, and learning at Harvard Business School.
Working with the Manager of Business Information Resources:
- Manages general content vendor relationships established by KLS and cultivates relationships with prospective and new vendors, coordinating with Harvard Library as appropriate.
- Negotiates the most favorable terms, conditions, and pricing for content licenses and subscriptions that are managed by KLS, ensuring legal and other compliance issues are appropriately addressed and managed on behalf of individual faculty members, KLS, HBS, or Harvard University as appropriate. Coordinates with Harvard Library staff on content licenses and subscriptions managed on behalf of KLS by Harvard Library.
- Helps to develop processes and procedures for implementing the collection development strategy, including coordinating input from Information Research Specialists on collection needs and decisions and liaising with the Information and Technical Services group in Harvard Library on acquisition/licensing.
- Provides input to the annual general collections budget. Tracks expenditures, particularly for electronic resources, and contributes to the budget forecast preparation.
- Analyzes, with an awareness of the information management industry, trends that impact KLS’s collection strategy.
- Participates in the evaluation of information resources. Gathers and analyzes data on collection use to evaluate the effectiveness of the collections.
- Works with appropriate KLS, Harvard Library, and HU IT staff to ensure that purchased and licensed information resources are accessible to and usable by the HBS/HU community.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must be a team player and excellent communicator who embraces change, seeks out opportunities for improvement, and is committed to providing excellent customer service.
Our expectations are that employees of HBS adhere to and represent our Community Values. They are:
- College degree required. Advanced degree in information management, library science, or business preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in information industry vendor relationship management or in collection development, preferably in corporate libraries or with business collections
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the information industry in the field of contemporary business and/or social sciences information resources
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills; excellent communication, interpersonal, and critical thinking/ problem-solving skills.
- Ability to influence without authority Additional Qualifications Additional Information
- Respect for the rights, differences, and dignity of others
- Honesty and integrity in dealing with all members of the community
- Accountability for personal behavior Pre-Employment Screening Identity