Shire's Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives.
The Director, Business Insights will lead the Shire Regenerative Medicine sales analytics, brand analytics, market research, competitive intelligence, and forecasting teams in developing and executing global strategies for the entire product portfolio. This includes sourcing primary and secondary research to clarify issues and reduce risks in decision making for marketed Shire RM products. The Director is responsible for all resources, budget, and personnel in forecasting, sales analytics, brand analytics, market research, and competitive intelligence.
The position is based at the company's facility in La Jolla, CA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Rapidly translate complex business analytics and systems requirements into understandable and actionable ideas.
- Maintains a budget and key performance indicators (KPIs) for each of their areas of responsibility - Forecasting, Sales Analytics, Brand Analytics, Market Research, and Business Intelligence.
- Responsible for recruiting, developing, coaching and guiding direct reports and the appropriate resource planning for all Business Insights (BI) functions.
- Leads a team that compiles and analyzes all market-related, sales-related, and competitive data to produce insightful analytics around global market drivers, competitive activity and trends, and context for strategic investments.
- Leads efforts between sales analytics, market research and forecasting to ensure the appropriate assumptions, business drivers, and barriers are identified for input related to forecasting models.
- Oversees market assessments, positioning, messaging research and campaign tracking produced by the global brand team.
- Develops a reporting infrastructure to deliver current market conditions, future trends, and global forecast models.
- Collaborates with commercial leadership and finance to make business recommendations by evaluating key events and raising awareness of key sensitivities and scenarios.
- Develop modeling to ensure a customized, global, strategic forecast that supports the basis for financial investment decisions related to lifecycle management and supply chain.
- Department head responsible for alerting the leadership team of appropriate interventions or corrective actions required for material risks and opportunities.
- Schedules and leads all long range planning and quarterly forecasting meetings with an eye for consensus building across the global commercial leadership and executive management teams.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of global market research, including primary and secondary market research, new product development, and market landscaping.
- Proactively engages the commercial organization in ATU studies, competitive landscaping, and promotional effectiveness.
- Responsible for vendor identification, assessment, and selection based on past experience and incorporating current and future business needs.
- Explores and proposes new research methodologies and data sources to increase analytical bandwidth and cost-effectiveness.
- Leads a decision support team responsible for situation analysis development in all strategic brand-planning activities.
- Leads the sales analytics team to provide regular reports on performance, KPIs, and market-based scorecards and dashboards.
- This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of duties. Other job related duties may be required and assigned as needed.
Directly supervises market researchers, forecasters, business and sales analysts. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; and, addressing complaints and resolving conflicts.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1.A Baccalaureate degree required.
2.Minimum of 8 - 10 years documented global business insights experience in the medical device, pharmaceutical, and/or biotechnology industry.
3.Minimum of 3 - 5 years documented management experience leading a team of market researchers, analysts, and forecasters.
4.Direct experience in problem solving, scenario planning, forecasting, market research and financial modeling.
5.Proven leadership skills and ability to orchestrate resources, strategically plan, and motivate teams.
6.Strong project and time management skills with an ability to maintain several priorities and meet established deadlines.
7.Ability to build and maintain excellent business relationships with both internal and external customers.
8.Proven success at performing responsibilities with a high degree of flexibility, objectivity, discretion, appropriate demeanor, and professionalism for different levels and types of interactions.
9.Excellent communication, organizational, planning and interpersonal skills.
10.Travel required as needed.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, physicians, vendors, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standard office environment.
Shire is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
At Shire, our purpose of enabling people with life-altering conditions to lead better lives is at the center of everything we do. We're...