The Business Intelligence Developer is a member of the Business Intelligence and Database Administration Team within OITS. The Business Intelligence Developer reports to Director of Business Intelligence and Database Administration, works in collaboration with other business intelligence developers and analysts, and is a member of the team responsible for implementing and delivering reporting and business intelligence solutions to Excelsior College.
The Business Intelligence Developer analyzes business requirements for querying and reporting of data from transactional systems and fulfills report requests. This position also provides support to business customers, including the delivery of staff training sessions. The Business Intelligence Developer is a key participant in on-going efforts to develop and implement new business intelligence solutions and in projects designed to demonstrate the value of these solutions for key areas of business focus.
In line with our new business intelligence roadmap, the Business Intelligence Developer is expected to develop an in-depth understanding of data maintained in various transactional application systems at Excelsior College and how data from these systems are best organized and integrated to support reporting, business analysis, and performance management needs. This position has responsibility for the technical design, development, implementation, and documentation of processes to extract, transform, and load data from various operational systems to make data available for business intelligence projects and applications.
The College's business intelligence technical environment incorporates an Oracle® Enterprise Server 11g data warehouse; Oracle Data Integrator for performing extraction, transformation, and loading of data; a QlikView™ BI presentation server running on Microsoft Windows Enterprise Server® 2008; as well as an Oracle Discoverer reporting environment using desktop clients for report development and a Discoverer BI Server for report delivery. Data Cookbook is employed as a tool for communicating data definitions and promoting data quality and consistency for BI deliverables. BI data sources consist of a custom student information system; a learning management system; CRM systems for prospects, students and alumni; a financial aid management system; and various web activity tracking systems.
- Analyze, estimate, and fulfill requests for information and reports from transactional systems.
- Maintain a strong understanding of business workflow, processes, and events and how these are captured in transactional systems.
- Provide training and assistance to business customers.
- Develop mappings between source and destination data stores.
- Write complex Structured Query Language (SQL) statements to load datasets from transactional and warehouse databases into business intelligence applications.
- Develop and maintain Procedural Language/Structured Query Language (PL/SQL) packages to create and populate warehouse tables and other tasks related to business intelligence.
- Design and create data extracts, reports, and QlikView applications.
- Perform BI systems testing, including data quality assurance, operations process, performance, and usability testing.
- Perform tasks related to the deployment, configuration, monitoring, and maintenance of business intelligence systems.
- Work with business customers to document key BI terms and definitions in Data Cookbook.
- Prepare accurate time estimates for projects and manages tasks to meet deadlines.
- Enhance professional knowledge and skills by attending conferences and advanced training in required areas of expertise.
- Two-year technical degree required. Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, systems engineering, database management or related field preferred.
- Understanding of relational database systems and concepts, including experience working with Oracle databases
- Strong knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL, including ability to write and troubleshoot complex SQL statements.
- Knowledge of data management, data modeling, and data analysis concepts, tools, and techniques.
- Experience with enterprise-level business intelligence applications and reporting tools
- Strong analytic, research and critical thinking skills, and attention to detail.
- Understanding of business concepts, procedures, and practices, especially as related to higher education.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills including the demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines while providing quality customer service and products.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work alternate shifts on an as needed basis.
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...