This is a key role responsible for leading the development and support of Seventh Generation business intelligence (BI) reports, technology, and training. The BI Developer is responsible for the development and support of reports, data integration packages (ETL), and data warehouse enhancements using Microsoft SQL Server and related technologies.
The BI Developer ensures that BI empowers the business, improves efficiency and enhances business decision making. This position identifies, researches, and solves both business and technical problems. It manages projects and vendors. The role will drive continuous reporting improvements and keep the BI architecture aligned with future business needs.
This position will work closely with business and technology teams to further enhance the BI platform. The role will establish and enforce policies and procedures to support data governance and data security. The position reports to Director of Information Technology.
This individual maintains documentation including the updated report inventory and technical data dictionary, and supports the evolution of the business intelligence and reporting strategy.
This position requires commitment to embrace the company’s culture by promoting a developmental organization through the alignment of personal behaviors with the company’s core values in the on-going pursuit of the company’s mission.
Technical support and leadership:
- Develop and test programs to extract, cleanse, transform and load data from source systems into data warehouses and analysis cubes.
- Provide reporting support and leadership to the business functions by identifying, evaluating, designing and developing various reports using Microsoft SSRS. Implement automated intranet reporting via SharePoint.
- Enhance & automate existing reports. Write new reports. Develop & enhance automated KPI reporting, operational reporting and respond to ad-hoc data requests. Develop executive dashboards to track business performance.
- Support and lead development & maintenance of Microsoft SQL data warehouses and data cubes.
- Adhere to all systems documentation standards, development lifecycle tasks, and status reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with business teams, systems programmers and technology infrastructure team to understand and translate business requirements into operational designs for data warehouse and business intelligence tools.
- Collaborate across the business to determine Business Intelligence strategy, solution delivery, service requirements and systems analysis. Help define and lead the strategy and roadmap for BI Analytics and Enterprise Data Warehouse tools.
- As a member of the IT team, deliver high quality solutions through proactive testing and on-going quality monitorin
Business Support and leadership:
- Establish high quality business reporting and consistent data definitions across key functions including: business units, S&OP, trade spend management, budgeting and forecasting, operations, accounting, dashboard reporting, subsidiary reporting and sustainability reporting.
- Support and lead BI related projects including requirements gathering, developing detailed project plans, communicate project statuses, and participating in and leading project meetings.
- Train and empower business users to create and support their own reports using Microsoft SSRS. Educate teams on the use of BI platforms for process improvement and strategic decision making.
- Develop and lead training sessions to empower the business to utilize reporting tools and architecture
- Work with & lead cross functional teams on process and reporting improvement initiatives. Support daily, weekly, monthly and year-end reporting cycles.
- Lead and support Master Data Management initiatives and improved data governance including data ownership, data quality, security, and data retention.
- Help establish and support data management principles, policies, standards and best practices as defined by the Business Process Owners (BPO) Group.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, business, engineering, related field, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated understanding of relational database design and architecture, data warehouse and BI architectures, core concepts, methodologies, and best practices
- Demonstrated technical knowledge, experience and aptitude required, including knowledge and experience with relational databases and BI tools such as the Microsoft BI applications including SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Analysis Cubes and SharePoint.
- Experience in SQL and report development. Ability to write SQL & MDX queries, develop SQL views, functions and stored procedures.
- Solid understanding of software design principles, development process and change management practices.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Understanding of business functions including sales, logistics, operations, finance and accounting. Ability to understand various business functions and quickly understand source system databases.
- Effective troubleshooting and performance tuning skills - should be able to identify and resolve performance issues.
- Experience designing and building interactive and visual dashboards for delivering insightful information to senior leadership.
- Ability to organize, plan, and carry out multiple concurrent objectives or activities, and effectively make judgments in prioritizing and time allocation in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to commit to and deliver on deadlines. Ability to work independently as well as under the direction of senior team members.
- Strong work ethic, interpersonal skills, communication skills (written and verbal) and analytical skills.
- Experience interfacing with multiple users and teams across the business functions and effectively project manage reporting requirements from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to develop online reporting solutions that meet business needs.
- Passion and alignment with Seventh Generation mission, vision, values & operating principles.
- Strong cross-functional business knowledge and experience such as order to cash, logistics, operations, sales & marketing, accounting, and finance.
- Strong analytical and communication skills required to translate business functional requirements into reports and technical solutions.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Strong project management skills, including planning and prioritization.
- Experience successfully creating, implementing and managing new business processes.
- Experience with Relational and Dimensional Data Modeling
- Programming experience.
- Passion for working in a values based, socially responsible company.
- Open office environment – no special conditions
- Meeting-intensive culture
- High volume of distractions and interruptions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Seventh Generation - 8 months ago
Seventh Generation is the nation's leading brand of household and personal care products that help protect human health and the environment....