Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Business Operations Directorate in conjunction with the Global & Regional Solutions and Basic Science directorates currently has a full-time opportunity for a Business Manager.
The Business Operations Office of the Global and Regional Solutions Directorate is responsible for budget development, accounting and financial control. These responsibilities consist of budget formulation, labor budgeting and control, estimate preparation, organizational burden and directorate rate development, funds control as well as financial analysis. The group also provides support services for human resource, purchase orders, RFQs, work order entry, contract administration, invoice payments, communication support, credit cards, time card issues and report distribution. This office also provides assistance to researchers with various business functions and proposal and budget preparation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Providing leadership and direction to a staff of approximately four employees.
- Assisting the BOM in the financial decision making for the two Directorates.
- Teaming with other BOD professionals in the development and execution of business systems including the streamlining of activities.
- Leading the budget planning and execution, labor forecasting, financial analysis, revenue and cost projections, rate development and application.
- Will provide ongoing recommendations for improvements; identify business risk issues and make recommendations for alternative solutions on issues such as resource limitations and constraints and other financial obstacles that may arise.
- Work on special independent projects as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related business discipline.
- Ten years’ work experience that demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Variance Analysis and Project Reporting, including knowledge of budget planning, procurement process, A/P, A/R, Payroll, travel, etc.
- Five years of financial management responsibilities.
- Development and management of complex budget processes involving divisions and/or organizations as well as the monthly and year end close process.
- Experience in the analysis, forecasting and reporting of business performance to senior-level managers.
- Ability to interact with auditors, oversight agencies and stakeholders as well as peers within the organization and across the laboratory complex
- Ability to present financial data (orally and written form) in a concise format to science management and non-financial stakeholders routinely.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure, while meeting deadlines and balancing multiple priorities
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is preferable.
- Candidate should be versed in the Laboratories’ Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) as well as the financials systems (PeopleSoft Financials, Queries, and SharePoint).
This position requires regular use of a Computer/Keyboard.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job # 16258.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....