The Global Portfolio Accounting Department is responsible for the accounting, tax, and reporting functions for the American Funds and our institutional client portfolios. Our business continues to grow in complexity, as evidenced by our expansion into new products and investment types. These dynamics, coupled with the increasingly challenging business and regulatory environment, create an exciting and stimulating work environment.
We are looking for a self starter, with in-depth accounting experience working with derivative instruments, such as credit default swaps, futures, and interest rate swaps. As a Derivatives Operations Analyst, you will assume a leadership role in the department to evaluate the feasibility of investing in new investment instruments, including an assessment of operational, regulatory, and system requirements, and vendor selection and oversight. You will have primary responsibility in designing controls and business processes for derivative instruments, and play a key role in training and developing expertise across the department.
• Acts as a subject matter expert in operational processes and accounting issues associated with derivatives and alternative investments such as credit default swaps, futures, and interest rate swaps. Responds to internal and external inquiries.
• Analyzes complex transactions, works collaboratively with others to identify, assess, and recommend solutions for a wide range of impacts, including but not limited to accounting, NAV, reporting, and operations.
• Designs and leads implementation of workflows, internal controls, and system and process requirements.
• Develops procedural documentation and training materials, and delivers training to other associates.
• Leads or actively participates in cross functional working groups to conduct feasibility analyses, vendor capability reviews, cost-benefit analyses and operational readiness plans.
• Develops project plans for key components of broader business or system initiatives. Establishes objectives, milestones, identifies risks and communicates updates to key stakeholders.
• Engages in other functional responsibilities of the Global Portfolio Accounting department, including the analysis of complex transactions, review and approval of NAV, periodic reporting responsibilities, and oversight of service providers.
Critical Skills and Attributes:
• Expertise with accounting, reporting, and operational issues associated with derivative instruments and complex securities
• Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively in a team environment to drive and implement changes
• Strong analytical skills and intellectual curiosity in areas of high complexity
• Effective project management skills, including the ability to meet aggressive deadlines in an dynamic environment
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate, build relationships, and lead discussions with others across levels
• 5-7 years experience working in accounting or a related field
• 2-3 years experience working with derivative instruments and other complex securities, preferably in the investment management industry
• Undergraduate degree in business administration, finance, accounting or a related field
• CPA, MBA or other advanced degree a plus, but not required
Capital Group Companies - 4 months ago
The Capital Group Companies, founded in 1931, has built a business being a steady Eddy for its clients. As a rule, the investment firm doesn...