Help us build Medium into a world-class business.
As you might expect, Medium is growing pretty rapidly — as a product, a platform, a community and a company. While we are and will remain a product-focused team (a great one, I might add; the best I’ve seen), we are intent on building Medium into a business that is just as great as the product. Toward that end, we’re looking for a superior person to take the lead on a few spheres that, together, we’re calling Business Operations. |
Key Responsibilities Finance
You will have overall responsibility for Medium’s day-to-day financial operations. We’re not looking for an accountant (we have that), but rather someone who can synthesize what the needs of the company are from a financial perspective and put in place and manage whatever processes and policies are necessary to meet those needs. We don’t need to be GE, but there is huge opportunity here to make Medium a better company.
Specific activities include:
You will own and lead our legal function. This includes corporate (board actions, financings, etc.); product-related things (trademarks, privacy, terms of service, etc.); and content (writer agreements, licensing and syndication, partnerships, etc.). More than just executing contracts, we want someone to lend a strategic perspective to our legal activities, since much of what we’re doing is breaking new ground.
- Manage day-to-day relationship with staff accountant
- Administer daily operational processes (expense approvals, etc.)
- Oversee monthly close of the books, including departmental reporting
- Lead budget planning process
- Lead spending analysis and recommend plans to optimize spending
- Manage tax payments and filings
Specific activities include:
We will depend on you to be looking ahead and helping us plan for the rapid, consistent growth we expect to happen in the company. This will touch many areas of what we do — hiring, real estate, company services, revenue planning, geographic expansion — and will be changing all the time.
- Administer/manage vendor and contractor negotiations and agreements
- Administer/manager writer negotiations and agreements
- Interface with outside counsel
- Develop and implement legal processes that scale as Medium grows
- Manage real estate agreements
- Manage insurance converage
If you’re interested, contact us here .
- Love reading (and hopefully writing) on Medium.
- Good at working with contracts and lawyers. If you’re a lawyer, even better.
- Facility with finance, accounting and spreadsheets.
- Ability to evaluate and develop business processes, with a strong bias towards execution.
- Strong analytical skills, both financial and strategic.
- Ability to communicate effectively internally and externally.
- 5-10+ years experience is recommended, but we won’t disqualify less experienced superstars.
- MBA isn’t necessary but a positive.
Medium - 8 months ago