Global Good (GG) is small evergreen invention development fund managed by Intellectual Ventures. GG’|
s charter is to solve challenging problems facing the developing world by using developed world invention, product development, and business development techniques. GG’s focus is on invention and proof of concept work and finding partners to take over commercialization and deployment of the product concepts. GG works very closely with The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (“BMGF”) Trust, and also with governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and commercial partners to target, conceive, develop and deploy inventions that improve and save lives.
GG seeks a very experienced Project Manager (PM) that must have experience working in and with NGO and government agencies in developing nations, possess considerable skill in managing complex projects with knowledge of traditional project management methodologies and software, be effective at leading small groups of talented technical, business and field-based professionals, while simultaneously leveraging a much larger group of indirect constituents such as: IV lab research scientists, IV lab product engineers, and external vendors/service providers.
The PM will be a strong leader and communicator, with considerable project management experience, and some practical knowledge of challenges in the developing world and skills to engage a wide variety of internal and external clients. Reporting to the Program Manager for GG, the PM will:
- Manage complex projects, relying heavily on foreign logistics, from initiation and pilot stages through to productization/manufacturing stages until commercialization hand-off.
- Communicate, gather requirements, and synthesize input from multiple NGOs, government agencies, scientists, technologists, and business teams.
- Own and maintain overall project schedule and, using MS Project, track key deliverables, progress toward milestones, resources, and costs
- Integrate and track high-level schedule components from Product, Commercialization, and Business Analysis Teams and integrate those components with Engineering, Research teams, as well as milestones from outside NGOs and agencies. Track key tasks and their impact on the Project’s critical path
- Develop and maintain detailed project budgets which include internal manpower, and external contracts. Work with finance to create variance reports and projections on a monthly basis
- Manage action item logs to ensure action items are tracked, promptly addressed and closed out. Report regularly on project progress and identify and track project risks and roadblocks. Work with project teams to develop risk mitigation and contingency strategies, and engage Directors to remove road blocks and maximize team efficiency and effectiveness
- Facilitate team meetings, management and quarterly reviews. Coordinate meetings and prepare or edit meeting minutes, presentations and tables
- Work with Program Directors to ensure clear articulation and communication of project missions, objectives and plans; and ensure that team roles and responsibilities are clearly defined, communicated, and understood by team members and stakeholders and that project activities are properly resourced
- Own particular elements of the Program, working with Directors and team members to ensure that these elements align in time, budget and expectation
- Manage project systems and processes that support efficient and effective project execution
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Demonstrated, practical experience in emerging / developing world markets required with excellent cross-cultural skills and proven ability to work in and with professionals from Africa, Latin America, and/or South Asia
- 8+ years of project management and business development experience in launching new products, businesses and/or new organizations
- Demonstrated project management experience in a technology field and\or technology related international development field, with demonstrated ability to take a pilot project and bring it to a meaningful scale in a challenging environment
- High proficiency with Microsoft Project and the MS Office program suite
- Frequent domestic and international travel may be required, demonstrated ability to acquire and maintain a valid passport is necessary
- Graduate degree required
- PMP certification required (demonstrated progress toward earning PMP credential may be acceptable
- Proactive self-starter, approachable with a positive can-do attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and scrupulous attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to achieve results working with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated poise, professionalism and confidence when communicating with and presenting to high-profile internal and external customers
- Comfortable working in a highly technical business environment
- Candidate should have a passion for working to bring life-saving, innovative technologies, to developing nations
Intellectual Ventures Management - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard