The Business Analyst’s role is to serve as the liaison that integrates input from the client, account team, and product manager into communications and documentation for use by the development team, QA team, and production support team that work on a project. The analyst collects information from different sources, analyzes and compares it, and uses findings from these activities to establish requirements for a project. Finally, the analyst supports the client, account team, product, and development manager as needed to ensure correct interpretation and utilization of requirements documentation. A business analyst may also be known as a requirements analyst, systems analyst, or analyst.
The above outlines the principal work and responsibilities in the job and does not specify each and every task that might be performed.
- Work with the client, account team, product manager, project manager, and project sponsor (any or all that are applicable) to document the product’s vision and the project’s scope
- Identify project stakeholders and user classes, document user class characteristics, identify appropriate representatives for each user class, and negotiate their responsibilities
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, storyboards, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, event lists, business analysis, competitive product analysis, task and workflow analysis, and/or viewpoints
- Write requirements and functional specifications according to standard templates, using natural language simply, clearly, unambiguously, and concisely
- Decompose high level business and user requirements into functional requirements and quality requirements specified at an appropriate level of detail suitable for use by those who must base their work on the requirements
- Define quality attributes, external interfaces, constraints, and other nonfunctional requirements if applicable
- Represent requirements using alternative views such as analysis models (diagrams), prototypes, or scenarios, where appropriate
- Lead requirements analysis and verification, ensuring that requirement statements are complete, consistent, concise, comprehensible, traceable, feasible, unambiguous, and verifiable, and that they conform to standards
- Participate in requirements prioritization
- Participate in peer reviews and inspections of requirements documentation
- Manage changes to baseline requirements through effective participation in change control processes and tools
- Establish and implement effective requirements practices, including use and continuous improvement of a requirements process, and assist with the development of the organization’s requirements engineering policies, procedures, and tools
- Implement ways to re-use requirements across projects
- Identify ways to assist product management in product planning through requirements development and analysis
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AS DIRECTED BY MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Interviewing skills, to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to identify essential requirements information
- Listening skills, to understand what people say and to detect what they might be hesitant to say
- Analytical skills, to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements
- Facilitation skills, to lead requirements elicitation workshops
- Observational skills, to validate data obtained via other techniques and expose new areas for elicitation
- Writing skills, to communicate information effectively to all levels of project stakeholders
- Organizational skills, to work with the vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information
- Interpersonal skills, to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders
- Modeling skills, to represent requirements information in graphical forms that augment textual representations in natural language, including using modeling languages already established in the development organization
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written) and an ability to communicate with internal and external customers and all levels of management, including communicating technical information to nontechnical audiences
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage several projects at once
- Clear understanding of Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology and respective experience with its application in design and development phases.
- Good negotiation and persuasion skills; ability to negotiate consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders
- SQL skills helpful
- Project management skills helpful
- 3+ years experience as a business or requirements analyst
- 2+ years experience in technical writing, preparing requirements documents, end-user system documentation, or training materials
- SQL experience preferred
- Quality assurance experience helpful
- Training experience helpful
- TFS experience helpful
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor's or Master's degree (and/or 5 years of equivalent work experience or specialized training) in Information Technology (IT), Computer Science (CS), Software Engineering, or a related discipline.
Aspen Marketing Services, a leading global marketing services firm and division of Epsilon, builds long-term relationships with clients. From the grass roots of local business to the top Fortune 100, Aspen Marketing Services creates and executes impactful programs built to engage, sell and retain customers. Clients benefit from Aspen's comprehensive portfolio of in-house marketing capabilities, including digital marketing, advanced analytics, direct marketing, experiential and event marketing, word-of-mouth and multi-cultural marketing. To learn more about Aspen, please visit http://www.aspenms.com/or follow us on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/aspenmarketingservices.
Alliance Data® (NYSE: ADS) and its combined businesses is North America’s largest and most comprehensive provider of transaction-based, data-driven marketing and loyalty solutions serving large, consumer-based industries. The Company creates and deploys customized solutions, enhancing the critical customer marketing experience; the result is measurably changing consumer behavior while driving business growth and profitability for some of today’s most recognizable brands. Alliance Data helps its clients create and increase customer loyalty through solutions that engage millions of customers each day across multiple touch points using traditional, digital, mobile and other emerging technologies. Headquartered in Dallas, Alliance Data employs more than 10,000 associates at approximately 70 locations worldwide. Alliance Data is a leading provider of marketing-driven credit solutions, and is the parent company of Epsilon®, a leading provider of multi-channel, data-driven technologies andmarketing services, and LoyaltyOne®, which owns and operates the AIR MILES® Reward Program, Canada’s premier coalition loyalty program. For more information about the company, visit our web site, www.AllianceData.com , or you can follow us on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/AllianceData
Aspen Marketing is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law. Aspen Marketing is committed to hiring veterans and military spouses. Aspen Marketing offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits.
Aspen Marketing Services - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard