The Business Systems Analyst (BSA) is responsible for analyzing, assessing and documenting the system requirements for technology based business solutions. The BSA will develop a clear understanding of the business and functional processes for the purpose of documenting business needs in the form of requirements. These requirements are inclusive of business, system and functional. They will develop documentation to be utilized to develop in-house applications based upon the business and functional documentation. The documentation may also be utilized to identify vendor applications appropriate for the client’s business needs. The work requires knowledge of business and systems analysis, process re-engineering, unified modeling language (UML), use case, flowchart, and object-oriented concepts usually gained through a combination of education, specialized training and experience. The BSA will dissect and document business processes, examine interfacing systems, seek solutions and process improvements for manual processes and document ways that emerging technologies can benefit the client. In addition, they will collaborate with developers, qa analyst, u.i. designers, project managers and clients in order to provide understanding and clarification of the product they are responsible for documenting. The BSA may plan, organize, direct, oversee, monitor, guide and/or review the work of other team members. The BSA will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of all documentation and ensuring that all project deliverables are in place. |
The work is performed in an office environment. The physical demands are minimal. The work is performed under limited supervision. Work is covered by clearly defined process and methodologies as found in the Information Technology Department System Development Lifecycle Methodology (SDLM). The BSA is expected to follow all methodologies, policies and procedures.
Examples of Work:
- Consult with clients in order to acquire and define requirements to develop project charters, executive summaries and scope statements for development projects identifying business goals, in-out scope parameters, and high-level business processes.
- Capture and document business requirements documentation (BRD) understanding the weights of requirements, capturing business rules, identifying areas for process improvement and potential re-engineering.
- Develop Functional and System Requirements Documentation (FRD), (SRS) providing the blueprint to application development.
- Create business requests statements and preliminary scope documents for unplanned requests, acquiring detailed information to provide budgetary estimates for project costs including in-house versus vendor costs.
- Perform Gap Analysis researching and analyzing vendor solutions and comparing and contrasting products against client requirements.
- Utilize Unified modeling language (UML) within specifications including use case, and activity diagrams.
- Conduct project meetings and JAD sessions with clients and team members.
- Develop process flow diagrams, flowcharts, traceability matrices, and other appropriate diagrams.
- Participate in change request by documenting scope modifications and determining and documenting project impacts including costs and timeline.
- Perform documentation walkthroughs with clients, development team, tests analyst, u.i. designers and technical writers providing interpretation of requirements, use case, and project goals.
- Operate as Subject Matter Expert(SME) between the client and development team providing each with interpretative understanding of project.
- Assist Application Product Manager or Project Manager in project scheduling based upon defined tasks in requirements and based upon SDLM.
- Assist in the test process by testing against requirements and updating documentation to reflect changes due to test findings. Log test results in tracking software for resolution.
- Review database structures and perform database mapping when documenting existing application conversions.
- Review and edit requirements and specifications of peers and other team members.
- Provide documented feedback on peer reviews in order to provide guidance and direction.
- Collaborate with development team in order to obtain technical input.
- Participate in application training and user documentation.
- Maintain documentation standards and keep abreast of current information by associating with professional individuals or societies or by reviewing professional publications, newsletters, e-mail, and Web sites.
- Schedule internal/external kick-off meetings ensuring that all responsible groups are represented.
- Perform walkthrough of requirements for all parties.
- Create, edit, and maintain procedural documentation including but not limited to department policies, procedures and processes.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the City of Jacksonville core competencies.
- Perform related work as required and related to SDLM.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business process analysis & design, information mapping and process re-engineering concepts.
- Strong knowledge of UML concepts including Use Case, Actors and goals, and Activity Diagrams.
- Ability to perform comparative analysis such as trace matrices and gap analysis.
- Ability to communicate with clients to gain an understanding of their needs and the ability to gather and analyze business processes and software requirements in order to assemble documentation and map processes.
- Knowledge of Internet based solutions and how developed; Understands basic Internet and client/server architectures.
- Knowledge of object oriented concepts.
- Knowledge of project management concepts and the software for managing projects.
- Understanding of SQL and database structures in relational environment.
- Ability to develop various types of requirement documents inclusive of business, functional, and system.
- Ability to review and/or edit documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to learn quickly and work within tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of word processing, diagramming software and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, in writing; read and understand information presented in writing.
- Ability to speak clearly, concisely and effectively; listen to, and understand, information and ideas as presented verbally
- Ability to train and assist clients in gaining understanding of products and applications.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information:
A six year combination of education, training or experience in the field of Computer Science or related field with at least 3 years of Business Systems Analysis experience.
In accordance with the City of Jacksonville Ordinance 116.910, effective July 1, 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does not reside within Duval County at the time of hire, will have six (6) months to establish permanent residency within the boundaries of Duval County. Failure to establish permanent residency within six (6) months shall constitute resignation from employment. Effective July 1, 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does reside within Duval County at the time of hire, but subsequently moves his/her permanent residence outside the boundaries of Duval County, shall constitute resignation from employment.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net , upload resume, and any certifications that would be beneficial to the job. If claiming veteran’s preference, DD-214 (Form 4), for consideration.
Although you are attaching your resume for inclusion with your application, it is important your application provides all the relevant education and experience you possess. Otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.